help appreciated

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by vlb, Nov 7, 2007.

1. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hi guys

i have users who are not receiving emails into their inbox, when i send a email to them i dont get any errors or return problems etc so i dont really know whats going on, i was just wondering if anyone can tell me if their is any logs i can look at to see if the mail is actually getting to the recipients, the guys who are in charge of the exchange and mail infastructure are not really being helpfull so it would be good if i could take it into my own hands and try and source the problem. its exchange 2003 we are using. any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Vlb

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You could put a delivery receipt on the email to start with.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192929

Are you sending emails from the same email domain? Might be worth sending a test from a hotmail account (just an example) to find out if it is an internal or external email issue. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Have you actually seen their PCs or have you just spoken to them on phone?

If you have seen their PCs ignore the following: A user at work the other day had a problem where she could not see her emails, it turned out that she had changed he setting to display only the sent messages, stupid woman :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

haha good one, i get people like that all the time mate hehe, i had a woman today who was screaming at the helpdesk staff that her emails were not being sent and that this migration was a farce, when i visited her she sheepishly told me that she had been sending to the wrong email address. lol

they are all on diff domains, i have sent test emails to them from same domain, diffrent domain and from my hotmail, none of them arrive. basically what it is is that they have just been migrated to AD from novel (so from groupwise to exchange), we setup a rule on their groupwise to forward to their exchange and for the majority of users (over 2000) it is all fine but for some the mail just doesnt get to the groupwise account. obviously i have told them to give people the exchange email addy and that will remove the problem but as they have JUST been migrated it is impossible for them to inform everyone to send it to the exchange email.

oh wait, after reading what i just wrote it dawned on me that its the groupwise logs i should e looking at not the exchange ones. as i have even less knowledge of groupwise any help would be even more appreciated lol.

5. Sparky

Ok, if I sent an email to one of the users does it go to their groupwise account and then forwards onto the Exchange server?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

yer sparky it is supposed to, and it does with 99% of them.

what i am going to do today is remove the rule that forwards and then start spaming emails to the groupwise account.

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

it sounds abit like they have a groupwise email addy and an exchange one. if so thats asking for trouble, why on earth didnt they migrate it properly. Have you checked to see if the emails are backing up in the groupwise account, if so just create a local rule to forward them on.

If you do still have 2 email accounts for people what is the formats of the address for each?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  8. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

yes people have a groupwise addy and an exchange one (but they only get access to the exchange one), local rules are setup and i check their groupwise accounts regulary to see if their is any mail backing up (which there isnt) like i said the whole process works for 99% of the people but for a select few it doesnt.

the formats for each are [email protected] for the grupwise and [email protected], obviously cant give you the full name as it would indicate which organisation is being migrated.

what do you mean by "migrate it properly", i myself have no knowledge of migration between groupwise and exchange but if you think they are doing it wrong i would love to know. then i may know where they are screwing things up.

cheers mate

9. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

NVM i got the solution on another board

dales i am still hoping you will tell me the "proper" way they should have done it.

10. Sparky

What was the fix mate? Was it a forwarding issue from the groupwise account?

11. Sparky

Yes, Im waiting for that as well :biggrin

12. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

yer it was the forwarding mate, the way that the software had set up the rule (they are using quest) it was sending the mail to a gateway, it seemd that it was not getting through their, and then the rule was deleting the mail from the groupwise account.

very weird

13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yes that is weird....where the connectors defined correctly?

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

i have no idea, i didnt have alot of access to the exchange part of it, all seems to be working ok now though,

still waiting dales :)