Help ! 2620 wouldn't boot up !

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Headache, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I swopped an ISDN module for a serial module on one one of my 2620s and then switched the router on. The CLI was in rommon mode. I confreg'd, did the setup and then switched the router off again to allow the new configs to take effect.

When I switched it back on again, the screen was blank. No Bootup process, no CLI. No nothing.

What the hell happened ?

I've tried different com ports on hyperminal, different baud rates, different parity bits, whatever have you. I even cracked open the router and swopped over the flash and DRAM.

Nothing. All I'm getting is a blank screen. It's not a power issue as far as I can tell because the router switches on and off okay. The power light comes on, the activity light blinks.

Can anyone help ?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

What happens when you take out all modules and reload it?
    What happens when you put back in the serial mod and reload it?

Put back all the original parts in where they were and reload the device.

Very strange. I had a couple ISDN in 2610 and they worked fine. I wonder if you had a static discharge when you inserted the isdn mod? Rare...but possible. I doubt that is the issue though.

Hyper Terminal
    none
    off

if I remember the settings correctly with a cisco roll over cable.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks NetEyeball.

I already done all that.

Nada.

I also spent time fiddling around with the ASCII setup and emulation on hyperterminal. Nothing's worked so far.

Is it possible to experience static discharge if you're changing a module, even with the power to the router switched off ?

This is cheesing me off bigtime. :cracking

4. NetEyeBall

I always follow good PC Tech advise to always gound yourself to the metal casing of the device to discharge. But a static strap would be more helpfull. I suppose you could try to reverse telnet from another device if you think it is your PC for some reason.

5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

You know, I got a bad feeling the thing is broken. My mate is gonna kill me.

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

Since there's no answer post, I'll try to help. When you mentioned that you "I confreg'd", what exactly did you do?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanx r.h. lee

How it happened to the best of my recollection is that I swopped modules on one of the ports and then switched on the router. When the screen came up the CLI was in rommon mode. So I typed in confreg, as below and then entered. <CR>.

rommon1> confreg

The router then went into setup mode. I answered all the script questions. But I think I forgot to enter the new register value before I exited the script.

Stupid me.

Anyway, I switched the router off, then switched it back on again, to allow the new configs to take effect. And that was it. Blank screen.

I'm pretty sure it's a config register problem, because the router is working okay. It's just not showing anything. I think the current register is 0x4008 or something like that. But there's no way to change it back, because like I said, there's no CLI.

I think this phenomenon is called a router hang, or something like that. But I don't know how to fix it.

8. NetEyeBall

Have you tried to re-enter Rommon mode by pressing the break sequence 60 seconds after you reload the router?

9. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Yep.

No dice.

10. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  11. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks Spice_Weasel.

I've already tried all the baud rates under the sun. No joy there.

I'm slowly but surely coming round to the idea that I'm gonna have to have it professionally repaired.

*sigh*

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds expensive mate :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I don't even want to think about it, Sparks.

14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

Without a CLI, how do you know the current register is 0x4008?

15. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I think I saw that before the router went down, but for the life of me I can't remember where. I didn't do show ver, I couldn't have. Yet, for some reason I'm sure that's what the config is now.

16. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

[​IMG]

You know what, I've decided I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this anymore. I'm gonna find somebody who repairs these things for a living and let him sort it out.

17. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Headache,

Questions:
    1. Do you remember if you configured the IP address for the FastEthernet port?
    2. If you configured the IP address for the ethernet port, do you know what the IP address and subnet mask are?
    3. Do you remember if you configured a password for telnet access to the router?
    4. Do you remember if you configured an access list to deny telnet access to the router?
    5. Can you somehow physically connect your computer's ethernet port to the Cisco 2620's FastEthernet port using a crossover cable?

18. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks r.h.lee.

Telneting into the router was one of the first things I thought of when I couldn't gain access via console port. Unfortunately, neither fa port was configured (the router has two).

But don't worry about it r.h.lee. Eventually I'll figure something out.

19. techtr0n1c

techtr0n1c Bit Poster

hey did you ever get this to work again?

i know you have probably thought bout this:
    what bout your serial interface has it got a configuration on it? coz you could get another cisco router and link them and get in that way

hope youve found a solution

Certifications: HNC Computer Networking, Network+
    WIP: A+, 70-290, 70-270,CCNA
  20. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Nah.

It's just gathering dust at the moment. Couldn't be arsed, mainly.