Hello!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Lank1984, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Lank1984

Lank1984 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking at starting a new career in IT, because the job I do now sucks :( and have always been fairly good at and interested in computers; buiding them, installing windows, basic networking (for games with mates!!) HTML and some C knowledge aswell.

Am thinking that the CompTIA A+ and Network+ Qualifications are the way forward, although i've seen some crazy prices for courses online, ranging from some as low as £200 per course, going up to thousands!!!

Do you have to buy a complete course, or can you skip the expensive courses and just get the learning materials, learn them (obviously!!) and take the test? Also do any of you know if the job prospects are as good as these companies say they are?!!?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help my confused brain!! :blink

Cheers all.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Lank1984. Welcome to CertForums. As far as a training path, it depends on your comfort level with the material. If you feel you can master the A+ material with self-study and a couple of older PCs to play with, then go for it. If you haven't already, please visit the A+ and Training and Development forums and view some of the threads. Chances are that most of your questions have already been answered. Let us know how we can help. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Lank1984 - welcome to CF.

Yup - if you're up to the task (and it sounds like you are), you can study only what you want on your own. There are many free resources available online, and we'll give you as much help as we can.

Good luck :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Ice Penov

Ice Penov Bit Poster

Welcome to CF, Lank1984. Have a nice time learning IT technologies.

Of course you can. To me, it is ridicilous to pay thousands of $, for training. You can do it yourself!

See ya,
    Ice

Certifications: SCJP, SCWCD
    WIP: Security+
  5. Lank1984

Lank1984 New Member

Blimey, that was a quick reply!!! :ohmy

Thanks both for the advice, I'l check out the other forums..

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Can't argue with the info the other guys have given. Just search through the forums and I'm sure the answer will be there :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings lank1984 :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  9. KeithNN

KeithNN Byte Poster

Hiya. Welcome aboard and good luck with your studies.

You probably won't have too much of a problem doing the A+ (and maybe even the Network+) self study. I think I had even less experience than you and I managed that way! Cheapest way is to go buy a good book (we all usually recommend the Mike Meyers book) and have a good read through first... if you don't think you're up to it on your own it will still give you a good grounding...

Certifications: MCSA/MCSE, MCDST, MOS Mstr, Sec+,Net+,A+
    WIP: 70-284