Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by throbscottle, May 15, 2014.

1. throbscottle

throbscottle New Member

Hello folks

Instructions at signup say to say hello, so, "hello" :)

Hope to meet some new friends here :)

Certifications: CCSN (Cerco certificate)
    WIP: MCTS
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi, welcome to Certforums. I'm sure you will make some new friends here. Do you work in IT? Care to share? :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. throbscottle

throbscottle New Member

Hi there

I do indeed work in IT, though it's been more like not working these last few weeks. I work for an agency called Cerco and I've been having 1 day weeks. Doesn't pay the bills. Or anything else for that matter. Just joined up with Hays, hoping for more work through them. I do things like desktop upgrades and epos work, basic stuff, lot of travelling. Discovered recently my Cerco qualification isn't industry recognised - not too happy about that. Just been conned into buying a series of on-line MCTS training videos with a promise of a proper job, so about to try to get my money back. Looking at doing A+ - if the sample questions are anything to go by, looks like a breeze :)

4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Hi Throbscottle!

I just read your other post too and wanted to tell you to stick at it! It sucks what they appear to of done but don't let it get you down.

What kind of area of IT do you want to work in? Have you checked the government jobsite? I got my job last November through that.

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  5. throbscottle

throbscottle New Member

Hey Dazzo

I like doing fieldwork and would like to stick at that, but at the moment it's anything I can get. Going to spend the entire weekend working in an Aldi warehouse humping stuff around. Not looking forward to it but it's better than nothing. Hays actually contacted me today about a 2LS job - not ideal but it'll keep a roof over our heads if I get it, and they pay better too. I'm one of 3 candidates for that, and it would actually be quite good experience. Onwards and upwards... And it would mean I could do that A+, then see where to go from there.

TBH, the government jobsite just makes me depressed. I spent enough time ploughing through it when I was unemployed. When you are prepared to take a wide range of jobs there is just so much dross to sort out it's hard work just to look through. I even emailed them to tell them how bad the filter is. The old site (the green one) was so much better.

Actually had some other good news today - I'm a candidate to get security clearance for an agency client, so that will be really good, SC opens doors.

I've been predicting that after this dry patch I'm going to be inundated - seems to be a normal thing with agencies - all or nothing. I noticed this was a bad time of year when I used to do agency admin work years ago, didn't matter much then, but now the bills are so much bigger.

Well anyway sorry to go on. So, what was the process for you back in November? What got you the job? Well done, BTW, make the best of it! ;)

6. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

You are doing the right thing getting work to pay the bills and as you say keep a roof over your head. It is a bit of a hassle to rummage around it but it's worth trying as you may find something to apply to. Have you checked any other job websites out? I think there is a post on the forum listing them all like cwjobs and monster etc.

I have heard SC is a good to have, how did that come about?

I admire the optimism, wish I thought like that when I returned from a year out. Although I got work within the month I found it daunting!

I applied to a few jobs, didn't hear back from most of them and landed an interview for two. I think what got me the one here was the answers on the small 'quiz' and how I interviewed. Just remember to keep calm during the interview, even if you think it's going badly the person opposite might not so don't panic. Thanks, now to get back into a routine of study!

Please keep us updated!

Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +