Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by ~Luke, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Hello All,

I have been reading these forums for a while now trying to decide what to course to self-study.

I have been working in IT for many years and I have covered all grounds apart from programming although I can understand and do a little web programming (HTML, PHP).

However, that said I have no qualification/certification what-so-ever IT related. I have got IT jobs purely based on my experience. I would like to say that considering this I think I have done alright but now I want to get some certifications behind me.

I would eventually like to get qualified to do Networking although I understand I should start with the basics such as CompTia A+ and/or MCITP and then work from there.

I need some help/advice on deciding whether to start with the CompTia A+ or MCITP (Windows 7).
    Windows 7 came to us in Winter 2009 I believe and the latest CompTia A+ is 2009 - I understand that each will need to be renewed in time so that we can stay up-to-date etc.

With CompTia A+ I was wondering whether it is worth doing the 2009 course or wait until 2012 (just one more year) for the newest release therefore being up-to-date and not doing a refresher?

Are the refreshers easy? Is it alot of studying all over again.

Also, what are your views on MCITP/CompTia A+ - Any recommendations on what path I should take?

CompTia A+ then Network+, or MCITP + CompTia A+ then Network+ ?

All I want is to get a well paid job (as does everyone) and I'll work up to getting higher thus hopefully earning more.

Any advice/views appreciated,

Many thanks,

Luke

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
    WIP: A+
  2. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

welcome.

Without adoubt I and most other would start with the A+. This course validates the most basic concepts of Computer trouble -shooting, Hardware and software. A valuble insights on desktops, basic network principles. printers,scanners, etc. Go to http://www.professormesser.com/

Good luck,keep us posted on how you are doing.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  3. bamboo

bamboo Bit Poster

My situation is similar to yours, so this year, I decide to put on my gears and get myself certified in areas I am more interested in. :)

Certifications: Nil
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT (ICND 1)
  4. zet

zet Byte Poster

Seeing as you have experience it maybe advisable to start with the microsoft certifcations. If you're from the UK you'll soon see that they are more recognised by employers. As for network certifications, I've seen members go down the CCENT/CCNA route. However, prior to attempting the CCNA/CCENT route it is recommended to have 'x' years of experience where I think, although not 100%, x is around 3 years.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Considering you have worked within IT for many years I would see no benefit in doing a basic entry A+ cert. Your experience will already out value it.

Personally I would jump straight into 70-680 followed by 70-685 or 70-686. After which you have a good base in which to see which way you wish to go -i.e Server, CCNA etc. Furthermore, your Win7 Cert could last you 5 years + after which MS will usually offer a single upgrade exam (like they have with MCDST XP to MCITP 7)

If I were new to IT then yes, I would certainly start with A+, N+ and up but this would be for my own personal development and preperation to do higher tier exams. If you already have this grounding/experience then those certs will add little. Take a look at the recruitment sites, see what employers want, if you seek the well paid job (as we all do :) )

6. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Many thanks for all your comments! please keep the advice coming!

Hi Bamboo, what are you going to study? Are you thinking MCITP? As ethernet0 said maybe CompTia A+ is to basic for us? Maybe MCITP is more for us?

Hi ethernet0, would you recommend a self-study book for those courses mentioned? Do you have to do the 3 courses for the MCITP status? or just 2?

Many thanks,

Luke

7. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I used MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (70-680) by Ian McLean and Orin Thomas. It's the best of a bad bunch I am afraid to say, good pointers but certainly don't rely on it. Essentially the exam is far beyond the scope of this guide and you'll need to use technet and other resources too. Looking at the exam objectives on the MS website should be the first process.

You should consider installing Windows 7 Enterprise 90 day trial http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/aa905051.aspx as you will utilizing it's features an awful lot. Remember this is Windows 7 as a desktop OS within an Enterprise environment

A good quality testing suite is essential so you can so you can review areas that need work but moreover experience the type of questions you'll be asked. You can't go too far wrong with Boson or Transcender.

I found my study for 70-680 crossed over very well into 70-685 so this saved me considerable time. It is 2 exams for both MCITP Enterprise Desktop technician or Desktop administrator: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2 70-680 alone will get you MCTS.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  8. bamboo

bamboo Bit Poster

Hi Luke, currently, I am taking MCSA 2003 and CCENT ... :biggrin

I think if you feel comfortable, you should go for MCITP : SA or EA for Microsoft; and/or CCENT/CCNA for Cisco .. this two certifications are some of the most well regoncised ones in IT industry ... :D

Certifications: Nil
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT (ICND 1)
  9. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Hello ~Luke and Welcome to the Forums!

Well, if Luke has enough experience, it would be quite easy for him to grab those entry level certs. Furthermore, it would add a few more feathers to his cap :)

After grabbing those, u could definitely upgrade to newer technology.

So don't wait buddy, go for IT!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  10. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

Last week I order the microsoft self paced training kit for MCTS Exam 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 when completed and I have MCTS I hope to get MCITP - I think that MCITP (exam 70-685) is for Desktop Support Technician (Am I right?) - This is the line of work I love and I would love to generally be Microsoft Certified so I think I have made the right choice for now. - please correct me if you think I am wrong.

In future I might move either to a networking course or do a Certified Apple Proffesional course (although these renew yearly).

Any more tips/Advice?

Also, any advice on the Self Paced Training kit or studying for MCTS 70-680?

Many thanks everyone.

~Luke

11. ~Luke

~Luke New Member

Is there anyone else here currently doing the MCTS Exam 70-680 Configuring Windows 7 course?

What are your thoughts on the book (microsoft self paced training kit for MCTS Exam 70-680 Configuring Windows 7) and how are you getting on with it?

12. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

70-685 is for Enterprise Desktop Support Technician.

I havent read that book, but some users on the forum state that it contains errors at various places. I suggest u use other training materials along with it to get your rhythm going. A video series like CBTNuggets or trainsignal, a sybex book maybe and ofcourse google.com :)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science