Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bob_s, Nov 26, 2010.

1. bob_s

bob_s New Member

Hello,

I have joined as I am trying to get more certification and training and having had a look around it looks like a worthwhile forum for help.

I have a mix match of training, qualifications and experience. BSc in Business Computing, training and use of Windows 2000, Exchange and active directory. But back then (5-10 years ago) I never fancied the exams.

Recently training and certification had been for management with NVQ4 in Management and ILM Diploma in Management Studies, I also have ITILv3 and Prince2, both foundation.

Looking to get some IT qualifications to go alongside my experience. Maybe some MS bits but not sure which and also would love ISEB CISMP but the courses are to expensive.

Hope to be posting soon

Bob

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITILv3-F, Prince2-F,
    WIP: CISMP, MSc, MCP, MCSE
  2. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Welcome Bob

Just my opinion not the right one, just mine....

It depends on what you wan't to to in yuor carear next, I'd try and get the XP certs before they retire, then the MCSA, then on to MCSE.

I guess you do more project management work and the XP certs may seem like a bit of a step down but, they play a key part in the MCSE, and if you do down this route you get some good cert names, ie

Certified Desktop Support
    Certified Systems Admin
    Certified Systems Engineer

as apposed to the new generic certs. You'll find people (HR and managers who do the hiring) dont know what the hell the new certs are as a clear job title isn't always in the cert title. Plus the "old XP style" certs last for life, so you dont need to resit.

I only suggest this as it leads to the MCSE which impresses the pants of most ICT managers and its more or less generic requirement for anyone in high level ICT.

But if you want to reach for the sky and not look back, go straight down the Cisco road.

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  3. bob_s

bob_s New Member

Thanks for the reply cosway, some interesting notes on the certs especially the no expiration for XP.

At least there are options and it will be fun to get back to some real IT.

:biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITILv3-F, Prince2-F,
    WIP: CISMP, MSc, MCP, MCSE
  4. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Bob :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

8. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF!