Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rebel316, Jan 6, 2010.

1. rebel316

rebel316 New Member

Hello, my name is Greg and I am from Preston (UK) and have zero work experience with IT or computers......

However I decided that this new year I would take the plunge and dive into the world of IT and, at the age of 35, look for a career change.

Upon searching the web I kept being directed towards training providers and one inparticular caught my eye.

I filled in the form and awaited their call, which I received yesterday. We set up a meeting for next week with their 'advisor/salesman' and I started to get quite excited about the whole thing.

Tonight I decided to do a bit of background research on the company and eventually ended up here, and I am glad I did!

Now I am not dismissing the prospect of TP's but I will be cancelling my visit for the time being.

Spending just an hour or so reading through some of the informative, and very honest, posts has convinced me that everything I need to get started with my IT career is available either on this forum or elsewhere on the web - for free!

Then if I decide that it is indeed what I want to do and I feel comfortable and capable of doing it I can spend a reasonable amount of time and money, at my own discretion, on updating my knowledge without forking out a small fortune for something I am not even sure is right for me at this moment in time.

So a big thank you for the people on this forum :cheers

BTW, would I be correct in thinking that the very first certification I should be looking at is CompTIA A+ or have I got the completley wrong end of the stick?

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Greg

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Very good choice. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. rebel316

rebel316 New Member

Thanks for the welcomes, and thanks for confirming A+ as a good place to start, Ill get on with asap :onthePC

5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the A+

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA