Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by keith105, Oct 22, 2009.

1. keith105

keith105 New Member

Hi there,

Firstly thanks for providing such a great forum / community, only been browsing for few days now and already learned quite a bit. This type of UK IT forum is something that I've been searching after for ages now. I was hoping to get some advice or where exactly I can start out on getting IT experience (the old chicken and egg philosophy springs to mind). Firstly, some quick info on me....

I did a BTEC Nat Diploma for IT Practitioners 2 years ago and passed with a high grade. As I was interested in networking and want to pursue a career in this, I chose to go to university as an Honours degree is also something which I desired. I'm in my 2nd year of a Bsc (Hons) Internet Communications & Networks degree. Some modules on the course follow the Cisco Networking Academy curriculum so the benefit here is once I'm finished with uni I should be able to take the CCNA exam(s) and receive that certification quickly.

The issue I'm having is that I realise that "experience is king" and that no employer will take you without some - so where exactly do I go to get started? I'm 25, have only worked in retail / customer service previously (so no formal IT work experience). I know I'll probably have to start low, but where should I be looking to even get a Level 1 technical support job? I'm currently living in Manchester and am hoping to gain some experience here part-time while I do my degree, even voluntary would be great, but I'm so far finding nothing. I'll be moving back to NI once I graduate.

One other quick thing, i'm not interested in learning only Cisco - general networking either maintenance or design plus unix are things which I'm interested in working with. I am getting hands on experience of networking equipment in the university labs, plus I did have a level 1 broadband technical support job (inbound calls) for a period - are these things that might help me out?

Thanks for reading such a long post, I think I've got across what I wanted to ask :D

Keith

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. keith105

keith105 New Member

Maybe I should have posted this in a different section? :oops:

3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome Keith! :)

You're rather restricted in what hours you can do, given the Uni course I would imagine.

Part-time is good; see if the Uni can help you find something...

I would suggest that, with no real world IT expereince, you're best to look at A+ and Net+, either whilst studying the degree or afterwards. I doubt you'd have much difficulty.

Before you go back to NI, and assuming that you are going back, start writing to local IT employers... aren't DELL in NI by the way?

Best of luck.

John

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009