Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Macbie, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Macbie

Macbie New Member

Hi There

Just thought I'd introduce myself. I found this site by accident trying to get some info via the net and reading few a few posts and the impression I get is that everyone on here is very knowledgeable and very supportive of everyone else...so thought I'd register.

I’ll try keep this short but I’m hopeless at keeping things short sometimes!

I absolutely hate my job...my boss is a dragon...the work is now boring me to tears but mainly my boss is a dragon lol. I know I want to do something else…it’s time I did something else I have been complaining about my job for long enough!!.... and I keep coming back to something to do with IT but really don’t know what’s out there to get a feel for what I would enjoy that still pays the bills!

Our local college does both the COMPTIA A+ and CCENT DISCOVERY 1 & 2. I am pregnant at the moment but start my mat leave in November and was hoping I could do something part time while on mat leave (have childcare arranged).

Reading the info available re the COMPTIA A+ course it sounds like it would get me into a Helpdesk role. Money is important too and looking at the salary to our Helpdesk staff in my company it’s not as much as I earn now; our IT department are very good and there is progression available but I have the mortgage and the bills to pay. (I work for a large government run company).

CCNA Discovery looks more interesting…….is it good to have?

I am from Glasgow….is there many job opportunities if you have this qualification? (I tried looking on the net but couldn’t find too many CISCO jobs in the Glasgow area…perhaps I’m looking in the wrong place) my excuse I only had time late last night on my tea break!!

I see a lot of use self study but I don’t know if I could do that and think I would benefit from a classroom environment.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction….sorry in work need to go back to the dragon :(

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

The CCNA doesn't have anything to do with entry-level tech work. You'd be much better served by doing the A+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!