Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Alex, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Alex

Alex New Member

Hello everyone, I am Alex, a new member.

I would like to know what are the most useful certifications in th UK.

I am good in IT, Microsoft OS and Office suite, more than 10 years experience but no single certification.

I wanted to start with the EDCL, then I read it is a basic one. Is there certifications more important in IT or others?

I hope I find help within you. Many thanks.
    Alex

2. Meshan

Meshan Bit Poster

ECDL covers basic (very basic) computer skils and competency on Word, Excel, Power Point and Access and is used more as a way to make you computer literate. It's good if you have no experiance with computers at all.

You can take an advanced level but it's more of the same, just harder.

One advantage is you can knock it out in about 2 weeks (6 for advanced)

Certifications: HCIMA, BIIAM, BSc (Hons),
    WIP: MCITP (70-622)
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

The first one is a vague question, however I would say the A+, Network+ and the MCDST as when done properly gives a solid base on which to build future/higher certifications on.

You state that you're good in IT, but at what level? 10 year experience doing what?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. Alex

Alex New Member

Thanks everyone.

Thanks to Meshan for clarifying.
    Thanks to Ken for the suggessions, I have a personnal experience (Microsoft OS, Office, most known software on windows (basic level in Delphi) but I can learn very quickly though.
    I have no certifications, I did not work in IT but I am good at solving software computer problems.

Between A+, Network+ and the MCDST wich one should I go for?
    And wich one can I make with self studying + exam only?

Many thanks,
    Alex

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

You should pursue the certifications that relate to things you already have experience doing. The A+, Network+, and MCDST are all solid, foundation-level certifications. If you've got 6 months of server administration experience, the MCSA is worthwhile. If you've got Cisco router administration experience, the CCNA is worthwhile. But without the experience, the certifications aren't going to be worth much to your CV.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!