Hello!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Einholt, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Einholt

Einholt New Member

Hello everybody this is my first post here.

Now a little about me, I'm a 23 year kitchen worker, I failed my GCSE's first time around, I then went back to school and got 2 passes, I then tried night school AS's but it was not for me so went to work and have been ever since.

Now I would like to get some formal training and get into the IT industry (not because I'm deluded and think it will get me rich quick) as computers interests me, fiddling around when its got a problem with the help of nice people on tech forums is enjoyable to do.

Now I have very limited experience but once shown I can remember so I would like to know where I should make a start, what qualifications are a good start and whats a good route to entry level emplyment?
    It will have to be home based learning as I can't afford to give up my full time job to go to uni or college, also is there any organisations I can do voluntary work for once or twice a week to get the experience I'll need to get my first job?

Sorry if this information is already in this forum, if it is please point the way forward, its just at the moment I'm very confused as to my options, there are a lot of courses out there and many varying views on them, theres CompTIA A+ ,ECDL, MCDST and so on and on but what I would like to know is what can I learn with a bit a patience and time and whats relevent to a job in the industry, and what career paths are there?

Sorry for the wall of text and questions but thanks to anyone who stuck it out and double thanks for any replys on any of the questions.

Thankyou

Einholt

2. Einholt

Einholt New Member

Ok some serious browsing done and now a little the wiser, from what I can tell I think I'm best off starting with Compatia A+ and the Meyers book but what would job/s/job titles would that set me up for at entry level?
    From what I understand A+ is builing a PC, installing an operating system, partitions and formating hard drives, setting up Networks and then maintaining that system and troubleshooting any bugs / problems and taking security measures.
    Am I on the right track there?

Also is not being able to drive a problem in this line of work or are there inhouse jobs in the UK for this line of work?

Thanks

Einholt

3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

I was in much the same position as you a couple of years ago, with limited experience i'd say go for the CompTIA A+. Its a great entry level, vendor neutral cert. It will give you a solid knowledge base to build on with certs such as Network+ or MCDST a little later down the line. If you do decide to go for the A+, Mike Meyers 6th Edition is highly thought of around these parts.

You really dont need any tutor led courses etc.. alot of people here will recommend self study, its cheaper and you can go over things as many times as you need too! :) Not sure on voluntary work, but you'll be looking for small outfits, maybe a local repair shop or small company etc.. to start off with.

There are countless paths in IT, and the more experience you gain the more paths become available to you. Entry level support jobs are usually the first step, just to get experience behind you. Look for adverts such as "entry level" or "1st line support" and have a little read! :)

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions ask away mate :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. stutheview

stutheview Byte Poster

^ ^ What he said.

Welcome to CF. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP 70-270 70-290
    WIP: 70-291
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Hi, and welcome to CF!
    I've only been here a little while myself, but it's proving a useful place.

I'm working towards the A+ at the mo. Self-study. I'm working through the Myers All-In-One book. I'm enjoying it.

The A+ doesn't go into a huge amount of depth on anything, but it does offer a good, broad grounding in IT. I come from an electronics background so I was a bit surprised at how little binary is covered (seeing as how it's entirely how computers think). But I can see why: it's just not that useful in practice. And on the other hand, I've learned a lot of things I never knew. Very useful things about the hardware and how it's used.

I think it offers an all-round competence that offers good springboard to get you started. Or at least that's my hope! I'll let you know how it works out when I get down to the job hunt!:aaah

But from an economic point of view, I paid £20 for the book. I saved more than that building my own computer last week.
    Cash-back!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :D

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

...until you get to IP addressing. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Einholt

Einholt New Member

Thankyou all for the warm welcome :D

Thankyou for the advice everyone, I had seen the Mike Meyers book was highly recommended here and thats the one I will be getting to study from, again thankyou for the all the help, you seem a very warm and welcoming community and I glad I found you , I expect before long I'll be bothering you again for help on bits I get stuck with on the course :dry

Einholt