Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Goodbye Mr Bond, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Goodbye Mr Bond

Goodbye Mr Bond New Member

Hi everyone,

Just looking to start out in I.T and this place seems a great source of info etc, so decided to join up!

Having done a little research into what certifications are ideal for entry base, the two I keep coming up with are the A+ and Network+ ones.

My local college provides both these courses, well at least I think it does! Could someone just confirm that these are the right courses:

http://www.walcat.ac.uk/courses/microsoft-academy/

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

compTIA A+ and N+ are the best certifications to start off with along with the MCDST.

Looking at the link you have provided I am not sure if the A+ course is actually compTIA A+. We had a member the other day who thought he had the A+ because he had done a course which featured A+ topics but you only have A+ certification if you have passed compTIA A+ exams.

I would check with this college wether it really is the A+.

Do you really need a college? You could self study these certs and save yourself and load of cash.

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Goodbye Mr Bond

Yeah, it didn't seem the "official" A+ certification to me either, thought it'd be best to check with you guys.

Thanks for the help Bruce, I'll check with the college tomorrow.

Self studying might be the way to go, I'll have a look into it.

4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can always try self-study, and if you don't like it, you can switch to a training course and you won't be out a lot of extra money. But you can't try a course, decide you don't like it, and stop paying for it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I concur good point BM:rocks

Hello and Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Goodbye Mr Bond

Very good point.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll have a look at the self study threads on here tommorow, right now the footy has my attention.

:)

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

Welcome to CF bud, give self studying a shot. Take a look at zimbos (guide to self studying) which is pinned in the training section.

Good Luck

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums

11. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I second this post, zimbos' thread was what got me to this website in the first place.
    Self study is a good way to go, just get onto amazon and buy Mike Meyers all in one 6th edition and James Pyles PC Technician book which i have forgotten the proper title of, they wont set you back much and will be a god send

WIP: A+