hello :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Charlie1984, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Charlie1984

Charlie1984 New Member

:blink

hello all i'm charlie... a complete newbee. :biggrin After about 6 months of doing a load of reading and research on the net (and talking to a few friends in the industry) have decided to bite the bullet and pursue a career in Cisco, with the hope and intention of getting qualified as a network design proffesional.... sometime... lets see how it goes. ....massive career move for me, any advise would be greatly appreciated !!

...the other thing does anyone know where i can download CCNA nuggets, i'm trying to study as much of my study material as possible so i can at least go into my classes with a little knowledge, my head is killing after a couple of hours of reading the self study guides lol

...well thats me hope to chat in the inevitable future. :)

C

Certifications: none :(
    WIP: CCNA
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome, have you got any experience in the IT industry?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Charlie1984

Charlie1984 New Member

this bit you'll find hilarious... i have no experience in the IT industry. But i've always had a curious interest in computing but never really decided what i wanted to do !

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might want to start with some more entry level certs first then mate, such as the A+, Network+ and MCDST.

Move onto the Cisco stuff in time. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

As Sparky said you should look at some entry level certs like A+, N+ or MCDST you should not be looking at the CCNA. The CCNA is aimed at seasoned networking professionals.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

If you *really* want to do Cisco (and how did you arrive at that descision?) then I'd suggest getting a background to networking generaly with the CompTIA Network+ exam. This is vendor neutral and is a nice intro to Cisco.

You say you have 'classes'. What course are you doing?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the certs!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As you've probably gathered from the previous responses, you don't just jump into "a career in Cisco". Jobs administering Cisco gear (or ANY type of network or server administration) are typically given to experienced networking professionals. Certainly you can get to that point... but that'll take time. As the others have already recommended, start looking for an entry-level IT job and start studying for your A+. After you get the A+, go after Network+ and the MCDST. Save the CCNA until you build a bit of experience. :)

Classes are fine... but you don't start building real-world experience until you get out into the "real world" and get your first IT job. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    I have to agree with the earlier responses. Cisco is not something to "jump" into without prior experience. Although it's great knowledge it's not something a "newbie" will get to work with immediately. You may want to consider some entry level certs and work on getting the CCENT.

10. Charlie1984

Charlie1984 New Member

first of all i would like to thank you for all your advice. ...i thought the CCNA was the basic qualification i would have to get to even contemplate a job todo with networking, i take it the A+ and Network + certs are the very first steps !?

....i'm going to be studying in a Computing College (BCOC.co.uk i think thats the site been down there and had a chat with one of the guys [close to my home] seems pretty good and doesn't look overly expensive) i find it easier to learn with someone explaining a subject to me! :)

again thank you for the advice, will keep you posted :biggrin

11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)