Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AvD, Jan 16, 2008.

1. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Hello people, i recently started a job in my local council its alright, but not somthing i want to do forever, so i've decided to grab the qualifications i've been wanting to get for years (its hard when you on job seekers to afford quals).

at first i thought i need guidance, so i know i'll find companies, last night a gentleman came from computeach, at first he sounded like a host at a self help seminar, then it all changed as he soon realised that i knew what i was going on about (done some A+ and done some programming (C,C++,C#,PHP,ASM,HLA))
    and instead he was trying to sell me stuff from his other business's.
    eventually it got to the end where he stated that computeach would want 6250. in 1 lump sum, and if i couldn't finance it, their department would at 30% APR.

so shortly after he left i did some wonderful google searches and found that mostly people where disappointed by computeach and most just ended up left in debt. along my searches i stumbled across this site and after a quick look around i sooned realised i had been a fool.

why pay for a service where its 5000:1 student:tutor ratio,

when somone can get all the information and guidance they need for free online, with no deadlines (4 years max computeach).
    and they can purchase all the books and exams via the internet.
    i am sure it will be a hell of alot cheaper.

so here i am, to hopefully get all the certifications i want, with help advice and guidance, and hopefully in time give back what i myself will have hopefully gotten.

Next step: Comptia A+ research;

Regards

AvD

WIP: A+, MCAD
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Lots of info about A+ in the A+ section here - including recomendations as to books etc.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

You may find that your local Colleges can offer you a few IT Qualifications.
    A few now do Cisco IT Essentials 1 which would prepair you for CompTIA A+
    IT Essentials 2 towards Server+ and some do Network+ & CCNA.

It's just a case of looking and it will cost you a fraction of the cost from a private company.

Good luck!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats on seeing the benefits of self study!

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

i've been to my local college, i completed an AVCE in ICT (which afaik AVCE isn't even taught any more : o/) also did some of the A+ study, but due to late start, poor staff preparation and the books never being given to us, we never finished. and i was financially unstable so i couldn't continue alone.

but i am in contact with the new head, and i'll see if theres any night class's, but with my college i doubt it.

and really it is alot cheaper, to do it bit by bit,
    computeach wanted me to do 5 different certs, in 4 years and pay 6250.

instead i'm going to do them one at a time, in my own time. and go alot further than computeach could have taken me, i have already seen that this site covers alot more than computeach.

with no college, and no Distance learning. i am free to study as and when i have the time with no pressure (other than when i book tests, and prep time up to the test).
    and i can cover each subject as and when i have the money. stress free learning is alot more productive in my opinion, i wish i had an A+ book now. as i've been promoted, but before i can move over to the new department i have to train somone else, so it means i can't work as if i work i'll have nothing to show him.
    i am sat in my office board out of my mind wishing for training manuals... o_O.

well i can't wait to get started.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

WIP: A+, MCAD
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Hello and welcome!

8. greenbrucelee