Hello!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by skiv71, Nov 14, 2007.

1. skiv71

skiv71 New Member

Hi. My names Neil and I thought i'd join this community after browsing some of the posts regarding certification.

I am a 35 year old HNC qualified electrical engineer whose been working in the role of IT Support for 2 small companies for the last 6 years.

Due to a change in my personal circumstances, I've decided i'd like to make the full jump towards an IT support career but i'm not exactly sure which qualifications would be best to do to compliment my existing experience.

So should I post in more detail in this forum or head on over to another?

Thanks

Neil

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

You should look at compTIA A+ and N+ and Microsofts MCDST they are good certs to get then afterwards higher certs after some more experience in my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. skiv71

skiv71 New Member

thankyou for the replly. Yes thats what i've been reading, tha the Comptia is the way to start.

would my current experience and skill level have any bearing on where i start the cert process?

shall i describe?

its just a friend of mine recommended going straight for the mcp 70-270.

i just wanna make sure my money is well spent :)

thanks

neil

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends on what you've been doing as an IT Support tech for the past 6 years. The A+, Net+, and MCDST show that you've got a strong background in PC repair, hardware and software troubleshooting, networking, and desktop user support. If you've been working with Windows XP in a domain environment (not a workgroup) for a while, then you *might* be OK going for 70-270. However, if you're just now getting your first "real" IT job, you'd be well served to start with the foundational basics offered by the A+, Net+, and MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. skiv71

skiv71 New Member

well 6 years ago i setup a small network for a place where i was consulting. this involved basic peer to peer sharing with xp pro desktops with network internet. i also managed email, web space and implemented an automated backup.

more recently... i designed, built. installed and maintained a win2k3 server as domain controller. I configured DNS, DHCP, folder shares and permissions, groups, group policies, automated share deployment via scripting and mail/ftp and web servers.

this served 25+ XP pro users (mixture of dekstop and mobile) via a local lan with some clients remotely via vpn.

I did a lot of custom buld pc's and networking with multiple subnets.

I configured and admined the whole IT system from end client application support to wireless connectivity.

I also continued with the automated backup isystem.

I realise i've probably on touched on the tip of the iceberg and i'm really keen to further my experience and backup what i already know with some certs.

neil

6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009