hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by warrmr, Sep 9, 2007.

1. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

Hi i have been lurking in these forums for a while and have finaly today decided to sign up and say hi as you all seem to be a friendly bunch of people.

i suppose i should give you some info about me.

well i have been working in pubs and restaurants since the age of 16 and have progresses to shift leader /supervisor and trainee manager, i am now 21.

i have been into computers from a young age, when i was about 9 or 10 my uncle taught me how to build an repair computers.

i went to college and took a BTEC ND for IT practitioners ( Software development for you and me ) unfortunately i didn't finish the course due to me being young and mislead. anyway thats a story i don't wish to tell.

so i have decided to come back to Computers ( its always been a hobby sitting in the background waiting to come back to life)
    i have sigened up on a course at James Thornton MS student campus now i know that it has been bad mouthed on this forum as i have seen the posts. but i can honestly say it seems to be a good training center.

so i am currently studying for my MCSA + Messeging. i have passed 70-270, am taking 70-290 on Wednesday but am a tad scared as so many people say its a hard one along with 291.

i also start the classroom sessions for the MCSE part of things on the 24th September.

so everything is a little high pressure at the moment.

now i know alot of you are going to tell me a couple of things.

first one is that i am rushing things, and by doing that i cant possibly learn all i need to know for the exams which might turn out to be slightly true. but i am the kind of person who needs to be pressured into revising and taking exams and by setting tight deadlines and schedules i am actually spending allot more time revising, about 4-6 hours per day. i have setup my own test lab to practice with.

the second thing that i am gonna be told is that no one will take an MCSE seriously with no experience. i know that and fully understand i am gonna have to work from the bottom. but i feel that a MS certification under my belt will help me get to where i wish to be slightly faster than i would with nothing.

as i mentioned above i have a home test lab this consists of a PC running Server 2003 enterprise edition trial, with a vista laptop with 2 XP virtual PCs running on top of it.

services installed on Win2k3 server are (domain controller AD,) DNS WSUS Terminal services and the license server. Exchange 2007

now onto some questions.

without breaking the forum rules, can i ask what a braindump is. as i have seen it mentioned around the forums and i know it is highly frowned on i just want to know why and what they are.

the second is where can i find information relevant to the 70-290 exam on terminal services mainly TS permissions as i am finding the quite hard to get my head round and i have noticed it it featured in the exam.

if you have got this far than thankyou for reading.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :D

On your question about what a braindump is, it is something that basically prepares you for the exam your going to take by either telling you the answer or alluding to it in a very close way.

You can also get them in the form of practice exams where you will be getting questions that are very likley to appear and all you do is memorise the question so you know what to study.

Hope that helps

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

That Seems a tad stupid.

oh well i am only going down the "approved route"

Trancender and Measureup practice exams.

Official MS course ware and exam cram books as they have been highly recommended as a condensed copy of the MS books IE the cut the crap out and get to the point.

you guys dont half reply fast.

4. greenbrucelee

Yep there are some retards out there that use braindumps to get certs so it helps them get a job and then when they f*** up they get fired, but before the f*** up they're getting paid when it should be honest folks like you and me.

And yes were here to help, well I enjoy it so I will always look at a new thread and reply as quickly as poss if I can help.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums :) ! Good luck with your exam, let us know how you get on!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

I have another question.

what do you guys think about a tip that i have been given.

that before the exam you should drink plenty of fluids like water or those isotonic sport drinks ( no caffeine for at least 5 days). before the exam you should go for a run or a brisk walk. my tutor made me run down 6 flights of stairs and back before i sat my 70-270 exam.

apparently the theory is the brain is a muscle and all muscles need 2 things to function (good blood flow supplying O2 and removing the co2. and the other being a food supply the best being glucose but that gives you a sugar dip quit rapidly hence the sport drink recommendation. )

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Personally I think if your going to pass your going to pass, if you know your stuff running wont change anything!

But then my college teacher use to give as Mars bars before our A Levels because of the glucose thing, so who knows :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. greenbrucelee

Someone asked a similar question earlier today.

I replied to that so I will say the same here, make sure you have had a decent meal and a hydrated properly, dont drink too much or may need a p*** and that could effect your concentration.

I always have fish before any exams its supposed to be brainfood, although I dont really like fish unless its battered so fish n chips half hour before every exam is my rule.

But dont eat too much or you may need a sh** halfway through the exam :D

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I park the car about a mile away from the test centre as I do like the walk to clear my head before an exam.

Everyone is different and will have their own pre-exam routine. To be honest the only thing that is guaranteed to get you a pass is hard work and plenty of preparation for the exam. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. greenbrucelee

yep hard work will work.

I also make sure I have a half mile walk to an exam to clear my head.

12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome to CF.

I definitely believe, that exercise helps with concentration and stamina. So by doing the exercises you mentioned, it should help you with the stamina, energy, concentration.

BTW good luck on the exam.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You're correct about that.

Only problem with that is... an MCSE certification will have nothing to do with what you're doing as an entry-level tech... thus, it won't really help you at the level you'll be working at for quite a while. This is coming from someone who creates certification training products for a living... so it would benefit me to promote certifications. But that's not how certifications work... you should certify on things that relate to what you're doing or what you will be doing in the very near (not far) future.

There's plenty of posts on here that state why braindumps are bad and why they can damage your career and the integrity of certifications as a whole. You can also find information at CertGuard.

Welcome, and best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and good luck 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009