Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by rsm55, Nov 23, 2006.

1. rsm55

rsm55 New Member

Hi everyone - My name is Richard and i live in N.Ireland. I have a degree in Network Computing and have 2 years experience in I.T. well more web design, but anyway.
    I came to this board to do research on starting the A+ cerification. I was going to buy the Mike Meyers books but now i see that the course is changing at the end of the year. Should i wait until the upgrade comes into effect or start studing now?
    Any advice would be much appeciated.

Also would it be worthwhile picking up a cheap copy of the book and getting an overall view of what is required or will the course be completely different.

Cheers

2. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey richard, i thought the A+ was changing by march, though not sure about it...getting an overview of A+ is a good idea and then probably when A+ changes u will have a good idea of wot all has changed from the previous course material

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  3. rsm55

rsm55 New Member

Cheers Riaz
    Do suppose you know when the course material for 2006 is coming out i.e books, cd's etc

4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi rsm55, welcome to CF!

Im in much the same situation as yourself. I decided to wait for the new cert and start studying for the 2006 objectives next year. I believe the new Mike Myers book which alot of people tip as being a top book is due our 1st Jan.

I know there is a book that is due for release before then called Street Smarts which is written by a Admin of these boards, which im sure is going to be top as well, so perhaps thats another option for you.

Hope that helps :)

Paul

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome!:biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  7. rsm55

rsm55 New Member

Cheers everyone
    Paul are you just going to wait then? I have picked up the last edition of the mike meyers book for £7.50 at second hand bookshop.
    Are the 2006 objectives really going to that much different than the 2003 ones. I mean principles with be the same.

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

rsm55, Yeah im going to wait til the new course materials are released which hopefully shouldnt be too much longer.

The updated objectives are quite different, you can find them by filling in a few details and downloading them at the below link.

http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is to have a look at the new objectives and then concentrate on the bits that are included in the current book. Im sure they'll be loads to keep you busy! Then you can carry on with the new book and complete the new objectives.

:twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!