Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by aidman, Sep 17, 2006.

1. aidman

aidman New Member

Hello,

I currently work in the IT industry, however I don't have any formal IT qualifications besides my degree and HND. I'm starting my quest to become CCNA => CCNP certified and also start myself the MCSE.

I've enrolled on a CCNA course and hope to excel. I do use cisco kit at work, however I've never really done more than the basics...

You'll probably be seeing quite a bit of me in the cisco forums.

Aidman :D

Certifications: Bsc(Hons), HND
    WIP: MCSE
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Welcome Aidman to CF:biggrin

That's a good course to start, although I can't help wondering why you've skipped Comptia A+ and N+?
    :blink
    What are your reasons for doing Cisco?

Because you love the job or because you've heard the pays good?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. aidman

aidman New Member

Would you suggest getting the A+, N+? Where can they be done, as I'd rather not pay to do a course when I could probably doddle the exam...

The reason I've dived into cisco is because I've been left with a cisco network which i only know the basics of how to manage. I'm being funded through my CCNA, CCNP and at each stage will get a payrise... The end goal is to eventually restructure, secure and improve the network I'm currently maintaining.

If I'm honest, I guess I do love the job :oops:

Aidman :D

4. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Excellent good to hear your in it for the job and not the money!

Sorry if i came over a bit strong, just so many people get into IT for the wrong reasons!

Good luck with your studies!:thumbleft

5. aidman

aidman New Member

thats alright - Is there a benefit to doing the A+, N+? I've taken a look at the comptia website and it looks like my local college is a test centre...

I'd really like to look further into the MCSE, I use microsoft products such as server 2003, exchange 2003 on a daily basis... Its something I think i'd be best off learning at home rather than going on a course.

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

A+ gives you a solid foundation in PC Hardware & Software and helps gain further employment. Also you only have to take Comptia once unlike Microsoft which is always upgrading and you have to retake the Certs to stay upto date.

Have you looked at CATS?

7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey and Welcome to CF, good luck with CCNA I took and its a very good course for networking

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate.

I bypassed the A+ / N+ and have regretted it ever since. My studies toward gaining MCSE would have been easier if I had a more solid grasp of the fundamentals. I thought I had but like so many other things in life there is more to learn than I realised. If you have a lot of practical experience the A+ Net+ should not be a difficult task for you, they will help to get you into the study frame of mind and I am sure will fill in some gaps in your current knowledge. They are *entry level* exams after all. Jumping into CCNA or MCSE is taking the tougher approach.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. phonics3k

phonics3k Nibble Poster

Welcome to the Forum :D

Certifications: None As Yet
    WIP: MCTS: 70-536 & 70-526