Hello

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Steverino, May 17, 2006.

1. Steverino

Steverino New Member

Just found this site today, and I've been reading through a lot of the topics of the get rich quick training courses. Thanks for the warnings, wishing I hadn't emailed computeach now.

I would really like to get into computer programming for both better career prospects and to play around with my own projects and ideas. I've just learnt the very simplistic Dreamweaver in the last month and I'm looking into learning sql-databases for the fun of it.

From what I've read, self-learning is probably the right way for me to go. Someone mentioned taking exams, how would you go about doing this, Is that at a local Univerisity?

Anyway thanks for the advice,

Steve

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Steve. :biggrin

Although i got nothing against training providers you have chosen a good way of learning -self study. Have you done any programming at all in any language? If not then i suggest you go on a taster course at a local uni where they might take you through an introduction to possibly java. Another thing is look at what language you want to specilize in as there are a few out there. SQL isnt all easy work infact whatever language you choose isnt easy so do some research. There are certification too but you need experience more importantly. 8)

good luck and shout if you need any help!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome.

Most cert exams will take place at a 'testing centre'. Where that is depends on the exam in question.

Obviously in London there are many such, while away from the cities you will need to travel.

The web sites for the certs usualy tell you where the centres are, and also how to book exams.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

hi mate - Welcome to CF...

6. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF Steve 8)

7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. clareb

clareb New Member

hi there,
    i'm in your shoes too, looking for some good courses, and self study is a good option, but when i think of certification, i'm not sure how we cna achieve it all alone.
    And sql is quite easy to understand, i did learn some of it through online sites, but do not know how to practice what i learnt. :(

9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hey you not alone... thats why there is CF. This time last year i was unemployed and cert-less. I found this place - cant remember how. I start MCSA through self-study and i didnt have neither the work experience nor the prior knowledge. But using this place and a will to succeed i now have 2 MCP's and working toward the end of my certification AND learning linux - using books, google and forums just like this one!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good evening and welcome! :biggrin

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

hello and welcome

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+