Hello to one and all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Atomic, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Atomic

Atomic New Member

Hi,

Thought it was about time I introduced myself as I have been lurking here for well over a year now and first off would like to say a big thankyou to all the members as I have learned a great deal from this forum.

Now I've procrastinated too long about getting myself certified and have enroled on 2 courses at the local college, 1 for Cisco network fundamentals (they didn't have an N+ :rolleyes:) and also 1 called Cisco IT fundamentals or something( they advertised this as the A+:blink) which I have found is ment to be easier than the A+ as they say additional study will be needed for the A+ exam, However luckily I can do my A+ exams at the college for an extra fee, Now I have been studying on and off (more off lol) for my A+ for about 5 months, However I do find keeping a momentum with my study to be a problem, 1 day not studing turns into a week which can turn into well how longs a bit of string, So hopefully the college course will keep me on track.

Now a bit about me, I'm a 34 yr old guy that has in the last 3 and 1/2 years rediscovered my love for computing, I have played with different flavours of linux and of course I use windows (reluctantly)
    I have a history of schizophrenia and have not worked full time for the past four years, My only work in an office was about 8 years ago when I worked as a customer services employer in a call centre for Vodaphone,
    I would like to add that my medical condition is now stable with the drugs that I take for it and my reason for telling you guys here about it is I am wondering if I'm anyway employable in the I.T industry, also should I come clean about my condition to employers or keep schtum, After all my condition is now like asthma or diabetes, Horrible even life threatening left unchecked but controlled with medication makes me no different to anyone else,

Anyway sorry the post went on a bit:oops: I look forward to hearing from you all

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ N+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to the forum 8)

Should you tell them about your medical condition.. well, if they specifically ask you in an interview or application form, if you have any medical condition or are taking medication etc, i would not lie. However, if they don't ask, then it's probably best kept to yourself.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I don't know much about schizophrenia other than the standard textbook definition, but if it's under control with medication and doesn't affect your ability to do the job, I don't see why you'd need to bring it up unless asked. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Atomic

Atomic New Member

Great stuff,

Thanks for the repleies guys :biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ N+
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Hello and welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, glad you've joined :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Atomic, good luck with everything :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +