hello to all :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by benevolent001, Dec 22, 2006.

1. benevolent001

benevolent001 New Member

Hello friends

Am just new to this forum , i hope to learn lot lot and lot form techies around here

my mission is to start new carrer in computer networks complete CCNA , CCIE within year time , am totally new , i must admit i dont know even abc of this

but am confident with help of you all i shall be able to make successfull carrier , and by next Christmas with blessings of God i shall be infront of you with lot of things in my hand

i need guidance of you all , please tell me from where i should start , overview of CISCO systems , any posts which are good just give links to those. Introduction about CISCO , any good books you want to suggest

I have completed electrical engineering and have one year experience , looking forward to change carrier towards computer networks

Am 22 years old , merry christmas to you all , dont forget to invite me over your party :) and offcourse you all are invited in mine :)

looking to learn lot from you , please do guide me

Regards
    jamie

Certifications: None
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

Take a look around the place and I'm sure you'll already find that there are answers to your questions here.

:biggrin

3. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

CCIE in a year! Good luck!

CCNA --> CCNP ---> CCIE

That's one hell of a goal hope you make it.:blink :blink

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Jamie,

If you're just now starting in IT, Cisco's a pretty big step. The CCNA exam is not an entry-level exam, and it's pretty difficult, even for those with a few years of experience. The CCIE is two steps past that. Let me put it this way - I've been in IT almost a decade, and have been messing with computers for a quarter-century, and *I'm* not ready for the CCIE.

Additionally, even if you're able to pass the CCNA exam, the CCNA without experience will not be of much value to you. Few companies, if any, will hire someone without real-world IT experience to manage their Cisco infrastructure. I certainly would not. Most people start out in an entry-level IT job and move up the career ladder from there, gaining experience as they go. You have to learn to walk before you can run. It will be quite difficult to truly understand the advanced Cisco concepts if you've never even learned basic networking... or experienced it in a real-world IT environment.

I've said this on other posts, and I'll say it again: Certification does not enable you to be a good tech. Education does not enable you to be a good tech. Only experience can get you that. And neither certifications nor education equals experience.

When you're at the point where you are starting to study for the CCNA, I'd suggest the vast library of Cisco Press books. Sybex books are good for a secondary reference.

I don't say all this to discourage you. You can make a solid career for yourself, in time, working with Cisco equipment. However, it takes time and experience to do so. It would be unfortunate for you to get your CCNA, then wonder why you're not getting any calls from prospective employers because they require experience to manage Cisco networks.

Best of luck to you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings and Merry Christmas.:biggrin

If its guidence you want then you have come to the right place, this little corner of the web is heaving with top people willing to help others out.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. riaz.hasan

riaz.hasan Kilobyte Poster

hey welcome to CF!

Certifications: Degree, A+, HDA, MCP(270 finally!!)
    WIP: MCDST, MCSA2k3
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Jamie.

BBM is giving you sound advice, you should be looking to start your career in IT by studying entry level certs such as the CompTIA A+ and then Net+ Whilst doing these, you should be actively looking for work so that you can start to gain some real hands on experience.

Spend some time reading past threads on this forum so that you can get a feel for how others have broken into this industry.

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics