Hello there

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Azza, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Azza

Azza New Member

Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster. :)

Currently working Service Desk in public sector in Birmingham, 1 year 3 months in the job. I'm looking to progress but I'm unsure on how to actually do it. I have a degree but it's completely unrelated to IT and since I started this job I've got A+, MTA 98-365 & ITIL Foundation as a way to 'prove knowledge with the experience' but I really don't know where to go from here.

Issue is I'm quite impatient and I have a broad interest in most things computing related but at work it's near impossible to get exposure to anything the other teams do. Everything is primarily done in house so we have Java developers, Linux Server admins, DBAs, networking infrastructure guys but there isn't the opportunity to shadow or learn other stuff, 1 guy in my team has been here 18 years, others 8 years+ and it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

For example, I like the idea of virtualisation and cloud services I play around with Hyper-V manger and Server 2012 & AWS to an extent at home, I'm trying to learn some front end web coding (have been for years now :D I did a Java module at uni), database stuff also interests me and I enjoy fixing things so I don't mind the user support side of things but people are always quite annoying.

Anyway what is people advise on how to progress? Apply for any new job in the hope of fiding a more progressive work environment, or stick it out and focus on a particular tech get some more certs and then focus on jobs in those environments but with little work experience?

2. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I can't really advise as I'm not in a position to do so but I'm sure the other more experieced guys would be here shortly who will be able to give you some relevant pointers.

3. networkkiddo

networkkiddo New Member

hi all :)

4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+