Hello There

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stonywillis, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Stonywillis

Stonywillis New Member

Heys,

OK, I'm a workshop technician at a University. I'm bored, and I've been looking for another job for a while now. One of the other technicians I work with suggested that I go into computers as I seem to know what I'm doing. That could possibly be that he hasn't got a clue when it comes to computers. We shall have to see.

I found this site last week after going to have a chat with a guy from Joskos. Thanks to you guys on here I've just bought on amazon, Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers, PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills, and A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers. And not given Joskos £5000.

I have an old laptop, an old desktop, my current desktop, (am supposed to be getting a new laptop) and an 8 port network switch. Anything else I need?

Hoping to get going as soon as possible.

Any help much appreciated.

Tony.

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

The only thing you need now is time and dedication. And perhaps a small toolkit - but I suspect you have that already.

From the style of your first posting I'd guess that with effort you shouldn't have too much problem passing A+. :p

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF.
    Good luck with the studying.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. Stonywillis

Stonywillis New Member

Thanks guys,

OK, I ordered those books, and one turned up the next day, Network+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide.

Being the impatient one that I am, I'm up to chapter 5. So far, I still understand it. There quite a few things I already knew just from messing about with PCs but I didn't know the hows and the whys.

My question is, is it worth my while carrying on with this, or should I wait and do A+ first?

The book has captured my interest, and I'm reading it at every opportunity. I'm starting to think ahead to plan when to set myself a deadline for booking the exam (not that I know where to do that yet).

Do you think I'm jumping the gun a bit?

Tony.

6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

If you are comfortable with the material and can stick to studying then I don't think you are jumping the gun. Setting a date for the exam is a good idea as it prevents any "I can wait for now" issues.

I am waiting for my N+ book to arrive, once I have had a leaf through it I am going to set a date - with the CompTIA exams you can change the date without any charges as long as you give notice should you really think you need more time.

It would make sense to do A+ first but its down to you really.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security