Hello People!(New member)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kammodo, Jan 5, 2008.

1. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Im in telecomms at the moment and want to move into a network administrator role for the future, as it seems to offer better job security than most. Im starting my CCNA with the open uni in feb but have been studying for a few months now. They have even let me loose on the server and switches trying to fault find at work! Question: what other certification would be advantageous to a newbee in the network managerial field? (besides CCNP)

See you later

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF:) well judging from your current background and experience you would be better off learning the Network+ ran by Comptia. This would give you a good grounding on networks not just for cisco kit but for an all round perspective.

The open university whilst not bad but am sure they're not cheap? I believe if you haven't sign up with them you should stop and look into the self study route get the books a router and two switches and start plugging away. If you need more advice on self study do a search on this forum. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to the forums :)

I agree with onoski, you will probably find very hard to walk into a network admin role for your first job in IT, even with CCNA. The CCNA cert is for people with experience you should maybe look into the N+ first.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, kammodo. Welcome to CertForums. You can find out about all the certs Cisco has to offer at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_career_certifications_and_learning_paths_home.html

Have a good look at that site and see which path or paths would best fit your needs.

Also, Cisco isn't the only company in the universe that makes internetworking equipment. Juniper also offers certifications for their products:

http://www.juniper.net/training/certification/

I'm not familiar with open uni but can you earn a degree in network administration that isn't vendor specific?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. kammodo

kammodo Nibble Poster

I know they do data base qualifications and C++ programming. All these courses have a point system attached to them. Its 120 points for a diploma and 360 for a degree. The two main ones are computer science and telecomms. But I dont think they do non-vendor specific network courses. If I could I would go to a proper Uni and study there.

Certifications: CCNA R+S, CCDA , CCNP r+s , CCDP
    WIP: CCIE
  7. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Heylo and Welcome to CF!

i would recommend that you take Network+ from CompTIA as an intruduction to networking, plus CCNA is quite a hard qualification

All the Best Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What they said.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!