Hello Peeps

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by coolkaka, May 25, 2010.

1. coolkaka

coolkaka New Member

Hello ALL
    Let me introduce myself.
    I’m 28 and from brummie land (Birmingham) in the UK and a MASSIVE Aston villa FAN! :D:
    I have been working in the IT field for the last 5 years since graduating with a computer science with software engineering degree. Currently I’m a 2nd line remote analyst, looking to move into a more practical role that instead over the phone.

I have got experience in following technologies:
    AD, EXCHANGE, XP, WINDOWS 7, MS OFFICE, VISTA, Windows Server, Citirix,

This is where you guys come in....
    :biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

I have applied for a number of jobs in a desktop role capacity , and I have always came close or near against a candidate who had a wider exposure to me/experience or has got the necessary certification.
    So I have decided to get some for a certification under my belt.

Question is which one do I want to go for?
    Do I choose a MCP, if yes which ones, as there are loads, xp, vista, windows 7, etc etc
    Do I complete a MCDST?
    Do I complete a A+ and N+?

My dream job would be a desktop role with a bit of networking involved.

Your input will be very gratefull. (short cirucit) for the older members. :):)

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

What you do is get the MCDST and start from there, you already have the experience needed to pass the MCDST so I would go with that, if you wanted to make your CV more appealing then you could also go for the two Comptia exams as well (and maybe even the Sec+) but for the most part I would say that the MCDST is what you should be concentrating on initially.

If you wanted a client exam then either 70-620 or 70-680, it depends on which OS you're more comfortable and likely to be supporting.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

With 5 years experience I would skip the A+ and N+ and possibly start doing some MCTS's leading to a MCITP. The MCDST is good as it's specificaly designed for desktop support. MCTS's are also good as there are lots of them in specific technologies like AD, Exchange and Windows 7 so you can do them in areas you have experience in and other's your interested in as well. I think if you haven't already got one then I would setup a home lab which will help you learn and progress your career a lot.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend on getting certified on anything you've got experience doing. Most people go for the A+, Network+, MCDST, and typically in that order, though none are required. And at your experience level, none of those should take you very long. If you're looking for a desktop admin job, those certifications directly relate to desktop administration.

You've likely got more than a year's experience with AD... so the MCSA/MCSE is probably a good option for you once you've knocked out those other certs I listed.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. coolkaka

coolkaka New Member

Thanks peeps for your advice,
    I looking at the mcts at the moment.
    I was think of doing a mcsdt, but that's only xp & soon xp will be phased out soon. I understand that u can do a bolt on of a windows 7.

Do u think MS will re-lanuch the mcsdt certification from xp to windows 7?
    Just thinking what is cost effected for me the moment.

6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:) and would also advice you start with the MS cert MCDST as you can then do the upgrade eventually via the windows 7 route or MCITP cert.

Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I do have mixed feelings about telling people to do the MCDST as as you point out XP is on it's last legs from Microsoft's point of view but I still think a lot of businesses will still use it for years to come. As onoski points out you can upgrade the MCDST to the new track but no MS won't be offering the MCDST on Windows 7 as they are moving to the new certs (MCTS and MCITP).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Considering XP is still the most predominant OS out there, I'd say there's a long life ahead for XP, whether it is officially supported by Microsoft or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!