Hello Newbie Looking For Encouragement and Support

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by RayW, Nov 5, 2012.

1. RayW

RayW New Member

Hello

I have recently found myself unemployed. I am looking at this as an opportunity to transition into the IT world as a technician. I have some experience but realize that I need to increase my skills and get some sort of certification under my belt. I am leaning towards a Microsoft certification as that is where I have most of my experience. I am open to suggestions on where I should start and what types of reference material I should begin collecting. Thanks!

RayW

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As much as you may not like to hear this I have to be honest with you and advise that IT Certification should really be used to show your experience rather than be used as a way of getting into IT.

If I were in your shoes I would probably look into the CompTIA A+ and N+ certification tracks and get some commercial experience under your belt before attempting to go for the likes of the Microsoft MCITP\MCSA tracks (which require between 12 - 18 months experience using the products concerned).

I know it's not easy out there at the moment but with more certified but skills lacking people out there looking for work it actually cheapens off the certification track and that's not a good thing.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. RayW

RayW New Member

I appreciate the candor. I will look into the A+ and Network + certification tracks. Do you have any suggestions regarding reference material?

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

The Mike Meyers books are very good for the A+

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA