Hello, need certifications

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by freddiewit, Jan 6, 2011.

1. freddiewit

freddiewit New Member

Hello guys,
    your newest buddie on board. I am looking forward to certification tips. I am presently interested in

MCSE
    CCNA
    ITIL

I've got system administration and networking experience of about 4 years now but besides my Masters in ICT (2 years ago), I am yet to pocket any major certification.

Feel free to roll out links to already existing topics that will be beneficial.

Hope we have fun together

Certifications: PRINCE 2 FOUNDATION
  2. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Hi Freddie welcome to the boards,

I personally would try to obtain a certification that not only benefits yourself but the company you work for.

So consider the following;
    - What hardware does your current employer use? What will they use in years to come?
    - Is there a need for you to be qualified that highly, or should you take technically specific exams like SQL.

If the company you work for doesn't and has no plans to use Cisco gear, then I'm not really sure there would be much point in going for the CCNA.

ITIL is becomming more of a requirement for helpdesk roles these days and most require at least a general understanding of the concepts involved.

MCSE - again is there a call for it? will you be designing network infastructures on a regular basis, or would you be better off gaining the MCSA to administer them?

Anything that will help you expand your current role and gain promotions within it is the best way forward.

My appologies of my lack of knowledge on these specific areas, I am a mere Application Support Tech so I'm several years off you, but I hope it'll give you something to think about...

Phil.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certify on whatever you have experience doing. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

... oh and that :)

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  5. freddiewit

freddiewit New Member

Thanks a lot Phil182,
    Your reply is a million pound one. I have considered my role within my present organisation. I am however also looking beyond the present and securing certificates alongside my experience. Most of what I do presently is MSCA related. I have considered my present roles. I am however thinking of this certificates beyond my roles in my present company; I am rather thinking towards backing my experiences with certifications and increasing my known skills for a better place in the job market when needed.

Thanks BosonMichael,
    you are indeed appreciated

Certifications: PRINCE 2 FOUNDATION