Hello..my name is

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Brizzad, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

..Brad. I am a support analyst/LAN Admin. I have been working in the field of IT for about 7 years mainly doing support stuff.

I have a pretty through knowledge of PC hardware, basic network, and OS operation. I have an associate’s degree in network technology. I went through the Cisco Network Academy back in 2000 but have had virtually no experience with it since. I never took the test. I also took an A+ course back at the same time but did not test either. I was complacent when I got my new job after school but have discovered that I am not going to move up in pay grade until I get certified.

I am looking into advancing my pay with certifications in Cisco and others. I ultimately would like to pursue a career as a network admin/system admin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a yank and I am so glad I found this forum across the pond.

:D

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! Looks like you the opposite to the rest of us! PLENTY of experience and no certs! Good luck with them thou! What you looking at doing first?

BTW 'sell' me two years experience for my MCP please? :tongue

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

II have always enjoyed the WAN networking stuff. I love routers, switches, proxys, firewalls, etc. and would love designing and maintaining networks. I don’t have a bunch of knowledge in it but I am beginning to fool around with Linux (ubuntu to be exact). I enjoy that OS. I have always gotten a much better grasp on systems administration rather than software development.

I just need to learn the technical side of it (Cisco terminology, IOS etc) I need some credibility with the certs. Having the on the job experience has helped me understand how to apply such systems in a real life situation. Now, I need to learn the details and specific systems.

So, having the thorough knowledge of PC hardware and OS, should I go ahead and take the A+? Or should I dive right into the CCNA?

Perhaps this isn’t the proper forum to ask. Any advice or redirection would be appreciated.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Brizzad - a wam welcome to CF :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day Brizzad and welcome to the club 8)

I would suggest that you go for the A+ and then Net+ They are both globally well respected certs and they don't expire like Cisco ones do. I missed these two certifications because I was told that my years of practical experience meant I didn't need them. That was true to a point but there have been many times over the past five years that I wish I had done them first.

There are holes in my knowledge which would have been plugged if I had done these entry level certs first. It's always sensible to build your knowledge on a sound foundation.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

Thats great they dont expire. I didnt know if that had changed.

I may have to jump on to that side of it first. I have a feeling I wont have much trouble passing them with some reaidng and review.

I cant tell you guys enough how much i am happy to have found this site. Over here in the states, you search certifications and you get so mnay of these 'Boot Camp" sites that come up that want your 3000 American for a 3 week cram course. I had to do a little digging to find a useful forum.

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Glad to hear it - we only charge 2000 UK for our advice !!

:tongue

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Brizzad

Brizzad New Member

LOL.

With the weakening dollar, I am unsure of what the exchnage rate would be.

In the UK, are you guys using EUROs or are u still on the pound?

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Brizzad from a fellow yank. Glad you found the place. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

We in the UK are still using the good old Pound.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

Like others have suggested go for the A+, Network+ and move on from there!

The Net+ is next on my agenda, having only recently finished the Cisco Network Academy I'm beginning to realise just how much I've forgotten through lack of use!

:biggrin

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009