Hello - Looking for some training advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jamin100, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Hi Guys,

My names Ben and i'm 25 and live in Birmingham

I currently work for a primary school as the Network Manager / ICT Technician and am looking to start to get some certifications under my belt.

I've worked in IT for the past 7 years all in schools. I've been in this job for nearly 5 years now. I manage the whole network on my own which consists of.

4 x win 2k3 servers
    80 x win xp laptops
    50 x win xp desktops

+ the usual - Printers, IWB's etc

I think I would like to start with a MCSE and already have the following books
    - Installing, Configuring & Administering Windows XP 2nd Edition (70-270)
    - The Microsoft server 2003 training kit books for exams, 290, 291, 293, 294

Now, i'm not that great at self studying. I'll get the urge to get started and then it'll fizzle out in a few weeks. I think that i would be better off attending evening classes once a week or maybe day release to a college/uni (should by boss let me)

Like i say i live in Birmingham.

Do you know of any such courses?

I would like to give myself a decent time frame in which to achieve the MCSE so I think 2 years should be more than enough?

Thanks
    Ben

WIP: 70-680
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

You could have a look at local college.

Training provides like computeach will provide books and somesort of gui that help you learn some have the odd workshop but technically with these places you are self studying and paying a lot of money for it.

I would give self study a try if you can not find any courses at a college near you.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

thanks for the responce.

Having a read around the forums, do you think it would be best for me to do the A+ and Network+ certifications first before the MSCE/A ?

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes, the A+ and N+ together count as an elective in the MCSA so that'll be one less exam for you plus the MCSE is a lot of work and getting through basic certs first just to get yourself 'in tune' with how these exams are will prepare you for the 7 exams of the MCSE.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

Thanks, I'll look into getting the A+ and N+ first then.

6. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

What GBL said. :p

Welcome to CF's.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, I'd recommend self study. With that much experience, you should be able to do it easily. The key is to set yourself a schedule and stick to it - JUST LIKE you would with ANY training course! And when you pass an exam, don't take a rest... pick up the next book and keep driving onward.

Second, even if it seems like review, I'd recommend picking up the A+, Network+, and MCDST, particularly if you have an employer who will pay for exam fees. Again, with your experience, you should be able to blaze straight through them. Plus, the experience will get your feet wet for the more difficult MCSA and MCSE exams.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

Another vote for self-study here.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA