Hello! Info on IT certifications

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by delcocomcollwynne, Mar 5, 2009.

1. delcocomcollwynne

delcocomcollwynne New Member

Hello everyone,
    I'm the administrator for the training department at a community college in Pennsylvania. I would appreciate any thoughts on what IT certs might be useful/effective in the industry.

We currently offer MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCNA Security, A+, NEt+, MCDST, Fiber Optics.

Greatly appreciate any thoughts/comments. :onthePC

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Without experience, only the A+, Network+, and MCDST are useful to your students.

The MCSA, MCSE, CCNA, and CCNA Security are useful only for students who have relevant, real-world IT experience with those technologies. In fact, getting advanced certifications like those can actually do entry-level IT candidates more harm than good, as they'll look overcertified for entry-level work, and they'll look underexperienced for anything beyond that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Not to mention the difficulty of the Security +, MCSE and CCNA which can be very intense.

The courses you offer are spot on in terms of IT recognition but following on from what Boson said above, it might be worth limiting the MCSE, CCNA and Security + courses to students with relevant IT work experience if you want to have a reputation for producing quality Systems engineers, network associates etc

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Security+? That cert redefines entry-level - I considered doing it about five years ago but the exam literally wasn't worth my time or money!

I'm with ya on the MCSE & CCNA though - the CCNA gets no respect, but for people who have only a little exposure to networking its a hard slog. The MCSE, of course should be the blue riband of technical certification - but many see it as almost worthless nowadays due to the number of braindumpers/cheats out there.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Don't also forget things like ITIl and PRINCE2 - maybe offer the Foundation certs ? And what about all the ISEB areas covering bbusiness analysis, legal aspects etc. ?

You have a wealth of material to choose from but need to identify the target market - i.e. are these kids at school or are you also looking for students from the business community ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that the OP didn't say they offer Security+... he said they offer CCNA Security, which is a half-step beyond the CCNA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!