Hello, Im stuck in a rut!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Shrews, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Shrews

Shrews New Member

Hello everyone im in a bit of a rut and im hoping that maybe one or two of you may be able to help me realise things arent that bad and perhaps advise me on where to go...

Background:
    I left school after my a-levels and worked as a trainee for a company in the Midlands, since day one i'd told my manager "Id like to work with IT..." the trainee program I was on didnt cater for that... however I worked hard and impressed the IT guys, soon they created and offered me an IT trainee spot... fantastic! All went, really well actually! but after 8 months I had to go back onto the trainee scheme (making tea etc...) I decided to apply for university at Derby to do a Computer Network course and got an unconditional offer... Not being permanent I didnt get chance to start on any formal qualifications, A+, MCSA etc

Finished my first year, 2 A's, 3 B's and 2 C's, not bad for a guy with Dyslexia and whos really never been considered good at anything, until now... Just before finishing my first year I got a call from my old IT boss, they wanted me to come back and work as a contractor and help support the site, great I thought.

It was good but the pay rises, projects that I was promised, never arrived, I was left doing monkey work, getting constant put downs by one of the other guys and tbh I felt cheated and felt no loyalty or drive to do well toward the end of my contract looking back it was a wasted oppertunity! Now im back at uni with a deflated self confidence...hating it... they did offer me a another contract for next year though..im not sure I want to go back though.

Its difficult going from earning money to living on a mesely £500 a month, infact its very very depressing, I'd love to go part time and work part time in a similar role that I did before providing first and second line support internally to over 100 PCs/Users and 6+ servers, it was the perfect foundation but each time it was never permanent and I was never able to get a footing into other jobs...

Now i'm job searching and qualification searching, my course at uni is a joke, they're teaching our networking modules against CCNA modules...thats fine, but they're streching CCNA modules out over 3-4 month periods, the CCNA exams are then delayed for many more months, the CCNA 2 exam was delayed for 8 months over summer, we've all forgotten everything!! not the way its supposed to be done neither is it supposed to be done while youre learning program for the first time but it seems impossible to find another avenue into the IT industry, I cant find any trainee positions which I'd so love to work in and the price of the Microsoft training is expensive...

Has anyone got any suggestions about how I could or maybe should continue? I know for a fact CCNA is not a path I want to follow.

Sorry for ranting, I guess a lot of that may come across as a very unstructured rant, im just very frustrated, I have a passion and skill and experiance for/with IT support but no avenue to go down. I suppose what Im trying to say is I just want to get on with a job in IT!!!

Edit: ive been looking at this? http://www.careeracademy.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8&gclid=CL6_yvf09Y4CFSggEAodrFjALQ

Seems reasnoble and like a good start...? I could even fund it myself.

WIP: BSc Hons Computer Networks
  2. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Doesn't everyone!!

As for the link I would recommend self studying over that you can teach yourself all that for the cost of the books.

Certifications: A few.
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. Check out the articles section and the guide to self study. You'll find a lot of useful stuff there.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I agree with nugget have a look at the guide to self study.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?