Hello! I'm new here and new to a (future) career in IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 4SilverRings, Apr 16, 2008.

1. 4SilverRings

4SilverRings New Member

Hi everyone!

I start training to become an MCSE in a few weeks. It's going to take a few months (if I pass all the exams first time round!) then it's out into the big wide world for me.

I don't come from an IT background and I wanted to get the heads up from people who have gotten the MCSE but didn't have any realtime experience in IT on how to get that all important first job after completion of training/exams. I'm UK based if that makes a difference.

So be gentle with me and over to you.

Cheers!

(I will be checking-out the Forums etc. and doing some reserch on here ref. my question above, but I thought I'd ask anyway.)

2. DevilsAdvocate

DevilsAdvocate Bit Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Rob.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, MCSE, Server+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Getting the MCSE without real-world experience won't help you get your first job in IT. In truth, the MCSE doesn't have anything to do with entry-level jobs. Moreover, getting the MCSE might make it MORE difficult to get that first job. Look at this from the employer's perspective. Companies hiring for MCSE-level (more advanced) positions won't hire you because you don't have the experience... and companies hiring for A+-level (entry-level) positions won't hire you because you're overcertified for the position - meaning, you're likely to be viewed as more expensive than a non-MCSE, and you'll be viewed as more of a "flight risk" as you're more likely to leave for more advanced positions (so they'll have to do the job search and training all over again). You'd be somewhat "stuck" in that middle zone where you look overqualified for the entry-level stuff, and you don't have the experience for anything more advanced.

So what certifications ARE relevant for entry-level jobs? The A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications are all worthwhile for someone just starting out in IT.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the studies.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The MCSE isn’t easy, it can take a couple of years to pass all the exams in some cases even for experienced IT pros.

Perhaps concentrate on the A+, Network+, and MCDST for now. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums...
    I suggest sticking with BM and Sparky's advice.

9. 4SilverRings

4SilverRings New Member

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I was very interested in the reply/advice below. When I actually start the course, I think I'll Blog it, and the process of getting a job! Anyone else blogged their training and route into employment?

Cheers for now!

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF.

Not sure what you mean by blog it, but I would certianly take heed of the info from BosonMichael and Sparky above.