hello from up north!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by PaperThin, Apr 29, 2005.

1. PaperThin

PaperThin New Member

Hi all - I'm Chris, currently working at a IT Helpdesk, with a contract ending tomorrow of all days! Nothing lined up at the moment, just waiting to hear back from employers......:S

I Had an NITLC rep come over to my place and we discussed the N+/MCSE/SQL/CCNA Technical and Systems Engineer course which I think I will definately pursue once I can get a career dev loan!(Would I be able to get a CDL even with no job?) I think I might just study for the N+ N10-003 myself, and possibly even the MCP XP Pro exam, then go for the NITLC course. What do you guys think?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+ N10-003, MCP 70-270
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi PaperThin, welcome to CF. It sounds like you have a fair bit of experience, so self study might be the way to go. With your contract coming to an end, and nothing in site at the moment, you could probably get started on the N+ quickly, and have the time to study. Although that might change when you get a new job.

I am a big fan of self study, but it can be very difficult to buckle down and get things done. It really depends on wether you can motivate yourself to learn, and find the time.

Good luck, and stick around no matter what you decide. There are lot's of members around who are willing to answer any questions you might have. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, PaperThin. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place. Sorry to hear about your job ending. Hope another opportunity comes along soon. I agree with Punkboy. Perhaps self study would be the better route for someone with experience such as yourself.

We are here to help if you need it. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. PaperThin

PaperThin New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

One thing i forgot to mention was the fact I only have a few weeks experience at the helpdesk, I was originally taken on as a rollout engineer/it assistant and for the remainder of my contract they put me in the helpdesk.

I think i will definately go self study for the N+ and XP pro, but possibly go the NITLC route for the server exams, but that is probably a good few months down the line. I have 2 networked computers (plus my flatmates) one with an eval copy of server 03 on it would that be enough to self study for the server exams?

6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome from me as well, PaperThin - I always like to see the Scots' numbers rising (just like Parliament around here !! :wink:)

Good luck however you choose to progress :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  9. PaperThin

PaperThin New Member

A bit of news on the old job front - I have an interview for a general 1st & 2nd line support/helpdesk position at a large oil company today at 3pm! what exactly should i expect at the interview? I don't have too much helpdesk experience, will they ask me to carry out any tests or anything?

10. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Try looking at tc27 thread about his inverview experiences. Of course all interviews are different as employers require a wide range of differing skills from their employees.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  11. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Just out of interest PaperThon, what oil company? I actually start a job with ExxoMobile today. :D

EDIT: PS GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  12. PaperThin

PaperThin New Member

Noble drilling, in Aberdeen, a fairly large company I believe.

Good luck with the job punkboy!

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good luck PT . :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF. :)