Hello from the older generation

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by TommyDW, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TommyDW

TommyDW New Member

I'm 26 and am (after all these years of thinking about it) now wanting to join the IT world.
    I already knows lots about linux, servers, security and have built quite a lot of PC's for people.

All i need to know is this: am i to old to get in to the IT industry.
    I'd like to get in to the networking side of thing and then security side aas well.

It has been my dream to get in to this industry but have never had the confirdance to actually go for the certifications themselves and progress in to thw workplace.
    I have always stuck to crap low-paid work and am now sick of it!

Is it worth my time. I have the money to sit certifications but have no prior experience except in my spare time.
    Thanks in advanced, this is the best forum of it's kind.

Tommy

2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

Welcome!!

26 is still young in my book. People decide to change careers or finally find a career at much older ages than 26 and with less knowledge than you appear to have.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi welcome to CF!

Your never too old to get into the IT Industry, I'm 2 years older than you and trying to get my first IT job. I'm actually studying towards my Comptia A+, hopefully will try and get it done before the end of December 2010.

If you don't have any IT qualifications I would suggest you start with the CompTia A+ then N+ afterwards. These are normal Quals to start with first, be aware though if you do take the A+ first you will be certified for life if you take the exam before the 31st December 2010 after this date you will need to re-take every 3 years!

Good Luck though with whatever you study towards.

Regards

Rob

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

26 "older generation"? I must be on death's bed :)

No.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

26 ain't old.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

^^what they said^^

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF young pup :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

:what?

Welcome.
    How rude, Im 40 and started in I.T 3/4 years ago, cant quite remember exactly how long ago, must be getting old!

Working from home at minute, on network / security set ups, so is possible even for an O.A.P lol :rolleyes:

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

26 is barely old enough to be working in IT! :twisted:

Welcome to the forums from The Ancient One. Okay, okay, I'm only 40, but I'm no more from the "older generation" than you are. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I am 33 and trying to find my way into IT its never to late, but its not easy either. I am find my lack of commercial experience is holding me back i have the certs but it does not seem enough on their own.
    Good luck and if your successful tell me how you did it.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  11. TommyDW

TommyDW New Member

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the input.

Here's what i am planning to do:
    A+, N+, S+, MCITP or RHCE, CEH, CISCO and then the big bugger CISSP.

Just checked the prices again for the certification and oh my gosh, they have raised the prices dramatically.

Once again thanks very much.

12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I would recommend doing the A+, Network+, and MCDST (or MCITP on Vista or 7)... then stopping until you've got some real-world IT experience. Otherwise, you'll be way overcertified for your experience level - not a good thing.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Howdy and welcome to CF!

My gosh, I can't even remember what I was doing or what 26 looks like. Come to think about, my oldest is daughter is 26 so I guess I'll just look at her to see :biggrin

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple