hello from (PC) musician

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dna598, Dec 14, 2006.

1. dna598

dna598 New Member

hi there,

My name is Dan and I am a music producer (BA hons Commercial
    Music, like that's gonna get me a good job!)thats getting frightened in his late twenties about the insecurity of the music business and looking to IT as a way onto "greener" pastures....

i will be asking lots of questions about training, certification, and the many facets of the industry, sorry !

i think i want to get into networking as my computer science skills (lack of) prevent me from being a coder...

ideally want to get experience working in the city after i knowing what i want to do and getting some qualifications, but its early days (however at 27, i feel i need to sort it out-fast)

hopefully some of you may be able to point me in the right direction, and i look forward to conversing with you..

regards

Dan

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

It's not too late - I didn't get my first "real" IT job until age 28.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Happy protech

Happy protech Bit Poster

I'm planning on a career in the programming industry, I'm not a computer scientist! Anyone can learn a programming language if they try. :)

Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay. 8)

5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF mate :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day Dan and welcome to the club 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Welcome aboard fella!

Coincidentally, my brother was in exactly the same position as you. He worked in the music industry for about six years and was very, very talented. However, he was treated like dogshit by his studio for years and then summarily made redundant, which came as a bit of a shock to him.

He took the same decision that you are - namely that the music industry is bollocks, and decided to go out into the 'real' world and earn a living in the city. He now does Enterprise Videoconferencing, with a healthy bit of other technical stuff thrown in, and is earning a tidy sum as a private contractor.

With your experience, you should be able to find decent work in something like this in the city pretty quickly, and there are so many opportunities for people to learn 'on the job' that, if you're willing to put the graft in, you can get skilled up pretty quickly.

Good luck!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums mate :twisted: Just remember, everyone has to start somewhere!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Welcome ^^ Wish you find out your way here!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003