Hello from Berkshire

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by sjedwardz, Feb 8, 2011.

1. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

I used to work in IT about 9 years ago and am looking at moving back into it after running my own company but find the whole area very daunting!

My degree is in computing science and I've always been pretty techy. I started working for Oracle as a consultant/developer and gradually moved into pre-sales support. Then a move to Sybase and marketing and then to a small startup company selling web content management as a sales exec.

I appreciate that 9 years is quite a long time in IT - a bit like doggy years :wink: And am aware that I will have to re-train and come in at a different level. But I'm willing to do this. Plus I have quite a few skills acquired whilst running my own company - its just me so have had to do ALL of the work, sales, maketing and making tea so I'm not precious but I'm sure these skills will be of use.

Since any training will most probably have to be funded by myself I want to make sure I'm moving into the right area before making that commitment of money and time.

I did look at services such as computeach for distance learning plus firebrand for residential accelerated learning. But after seeing the costs and quite a few complaints I decided to try and do it myself. I'm know its going to take a bit more effort and dedication but the savings equate to a good family holiday!

So far my choices that interest me and that I think I would be suitable for are network support/ infrastructure and getting MCSA & MCSE qualified. Or database administration (which I used to do quite a lot of at Oracle) and getting MCTS and MCITP certification.

So I'm here to get as much advice and guidance before starting the training as I can.

Thanks

Shaun.

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome squire :)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome:)

Since you already have a background albeit 9 years ago I would suggest you stay away from places like computeach etc (I would suggest that to anyone really). All you really need is some books and determination to succeed. I would suggest you go straight for the MCDST as it retires at the end of June. I would suggest that you pick up the Microsoft training kit from amazon or somewhere and study and practice then take the exams (£88 x 2). After the MCDST I would suggest you get the A+ and N+ as these will not be retired and then after you get back in the saddle study for certs that relate to what you work with.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You don't need to shell out a bunch of money to a training center (though you certainly can if the money is burning a hole in your pocket). With your experience, you should be able to knock out your exams pretty easily using self-study methods.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. sjedwardz

sjedwardz New Member

Thanks Mr greenbrucelee!!

Do you mind explaining a little bit the reasoning behind the recommendation to go for MCDST, I'm new to this so need a little help:blink