Hello folks!!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Rik, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Hi there!

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Im rik, located in sunny Herfordshire and I am hoping to study for the MCSE 2003 Cert, any advice would be fantastic.

Active Directory im not looking forward to, is it really that complex? :D

:)

2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Can you tell us a little more about your IT background? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Oh and thanks for going green! :biggrin

I havent thought of that before... Active directory... it can get complex but i just realised how i have learnt it slowly slowly.. yes you will need to get a couple of good books that are AD specific but im sure you will learn fast!:biggrin

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi and welcome, Rik :)

I thanked you already for your greeness HERE :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Well not a very varied one tbh.

I have worked for 3Com in the past for 3yrs offering Tech Support/Presales Advice for all their networking products, passed their internal Certifications, currently working in the Leisure industry maintaining the company website with a little web design thrown in for good measure.

Im not really sure if the best way to go is MCSA/MCSDT or straight into the MCSE?.

I would rather jump straight in with a MS cert as I feel I have a very good understanding of the Networking side of things and I reckon im up to the job (doesnt everyone tho), and dont really fancy the Comptia Certs, not really sure why, would you guys recommend the Comptias?

Regarding Computers ive been using them for the last 20 odd years in one way or another.

I love to dabble, basic knowledge of Linux, fav distro is Slackware.
    Ive also installed all the latest builds of Vista up to 5472, which i liked very much.

Anyway enough blabbling on.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Im on 70-291 (1 of the 7 exams for MCSE) and i wish i had a better networking knowledge.. looks like you have... but to be on the safe side donwnload the objectives here at the comptia site for the Network+ if you know the majority of the stuff then you ok if not then seriously look at Network+

What method of studying you going to follow? Self study or through a company?

7. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Yes i do believe networking side of things is one of my strong points, thanks for that link, i looked at the Network + Objectives and even tho, im a little rusty 95% of it I understood.

Im undecided whether or not to start with a Comptia and then make my way up to the MS certs, as it cant be a bad thing to have them now can it?

Im contemplating Home Study courses/material, and I have gone part time at work, to knuckle down and get in some decent study time. :)

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

look i think A+ for you would be a little backwards - network+ maybe could help you but you said you looked into the stuff and you know.. so look towards MCDST first.. ill tell you why.. its a good intro to Microsoft's exams because they cheeky buggers those exams... it will introduce you to Win Xp - the MS Way and is an elective for MCSA.

Are aware of the MCSA and MCSE relations and the exams you need to take for each?

Also click here to read up on how to get certified a cheaper and more relaxing way. I suggest this for part-time studying because companies might put restrictions on you completing it in a certain time frame and with self study you control the time frame!

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Is that MCDST new?
    Its just I havent seen it before, ive heard of the MCSA and the MCSE but not the MCDST?

Yes ive looked at all the electives and exams that are needed for the MCSE and there certainly is a lot to wade through what with Exchange, AD and SQL depending on the routes taken.

I had a read of that post and its very interesting, will have a proper read tomorrow.

Thanks for the help, I think im gonna jump straight into a MS cert :)

11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

MCDST i think since 2002/2003...

i think you will find it easy but like i said the MCDST is a good foundation to MS exams...

ps a word of advice... avoid this or any boxed set from MS press... rather buy the books as you go for each exam....

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF!

MCDST Came out in 2004! I know because thats when I got mine! :biggrin

13. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

my mistake! :oops: :oops: :biggrin