Hello Folks, another new kid on the block.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MaxKobi, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MaxKobi

MaxKobi New Member

some history (brief!):

I've got ten years experience doing desktop support. But the vast majority of my knowledge lies in NT4. doh!

I've been meaning to pass an MCP exam for years (many, many years). In the past I've started studying, but never finished. But this time it's different,: redundancy! I reckon I need at least 1 MCP to land a decent job.

So I'm paying myself to stay home and study for the 70-290 exam. Ideally, I'd love MCSA, but an MCP would be a personal acheivment! I'm hoping to book it for 2 weeks time. I've had over a month studying and learning so far.

And that's me.

Best of luck to everyone!

Max Kobi

WIP: MCP 70-290
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Best of luck with the exam Max. I think you'd be suprised though, with your experience an MCP should make very little difference to an employer.

I know who I'd chose from between (experienced tech without MCP) and (MCP without experience, of which there are many).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hey good luck with the exam

What are you using to study? I recently passed this, look for questions on terminal services lol

I used the microsoft press book, and an online course to pass.

(as well as 1 1/2 years doing support for the thing (Win 2k+3 server)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) Best of luck with your studying!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  6. MaxKobi

MaxKobi New Member

Modey - I'd been with my last employer for 10 years, so I've not been looking for jobs for a decade! My problem is that until six months ago, I hadn't touched 2003. We'd been 95% NT4 server and workstation. So I don't feel upto-date and it's hard to put a price on experience.

Kevicho - I have the Official press 2273B book, which allowed me to sig-up for the free MS e-learning courses 2274 and 2275. They didnt cover Terminal Services at all! I'll also do some transcenders soon. I found the MS Virtual Labs interesting and useful.

What an ace forum! I expected to be looked down upon. But this place seems fantastic.

Cheers guys

WIP: MCP 70-290
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Hi, welcome and seriously good luck with the course.

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  9. Chopperchand

Chopperchand Nibble Poster

Hi, welcome, I am currently study towards 70-270 and 70-290. Using the MS Press books. Good luck with your studies.

WIP: MCSA Sql Server 2012
  10. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Oh don't get us wrong, we may be helpful but we are almost certainly looking down on you. :)

Only kidding mate. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings:sunny

Good luck with the exams:thumbleft

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Lmao! :twisted:

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

For all you folks who weren't sure whether NT4 or Windows 2000 skills are still useful today... Max's former employer is proof that companies still use old OSes. Windows 2000 will be in use for many years to come.

Welcome, Max! Hope you enjoy the forums and stick around for more! :)

Don't worry about having only NT4 skills. Server administration in a domain environment is still server administration in a domain environment... that experience is extremely valuable. You'll just need to learn the differences between NT and 2000 and 2003. I would expect that you'll be just fine, over time. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF Max! 8)

15. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF!:D

Good luck with the studies!

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  16. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

The company I work for uses Win2k (and Office 2k) and has no intention of upgrading in the foreseeable future (though the staff in India use Office 97 :eek:) There are rumours of us switching to Open Office, but that has more to do with possible overdue Microsoft licences :rolleyes:

Apart from that, what BosonMichael said. And probably another skill you'll be getting is upgrading - good hands-on experience!

Welcome and lots of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  17. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

The most important thing is you have experience – 10-yrs worth.
    You can use your past experience to build new a skill and actually know how to apply it in a production environment.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck in the studies...

18. cmansilla

cmansilla New Member

Hi maxkobi, i pass the 70-270 exam, and well my advice is that you have to be a full practice man, if you see one tech problem, you have to know if that is for hardware or software, dont worry if your experience is NT4, if you know windows you are on the way.
    Good luck, and dont stop.

Certifications: mcp
    WIP: mcsa