Hello - First Post, advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by arthud01, Jul 14, 2009.

1. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

Hi all,

As the title says this is my first post on this forum and i really need some sound advice. I am interested in doing comptia a+ course but there are too many companies/colleges that offer it and so many people posting bad stuff about most of them. Any one have advice or experiance for any or can recommend any particular place. The cost is not the most important factor, i want quality.

Thanks

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not a training course but well worth a look...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cer...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247603883&sr=8-1

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

If you really want to do a course then look at your local college.

Have you thought about self study? you can teach yourself by getting the books and practicing so you can't be let down.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Welcome :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

Hi, thanks for quick reply and advice. If i did self study how would i get the qualification? Also the college idea is in the ideal world perfect, except i cant always guarantee i will be off work the days i need to attend, eg my local college does the course wed 12-3, i workk in retail so my employer wont always guarantee me that day off.
    I was thinking more distant learning. I have just had an advisor from a company round and he did a great job of selling me the course, but when i typed their name and review into google they didnt come out very well.
    So im looking for an recommended company to do distant learning course with...

6. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

7. greenbrucelee

I have done all my certs through selft study and so have most have the members on here.

All you do is get the books you need, read them, practice the concepts, register with www.pearsonvue.co.uk for compTIA exams or www.prometric.co.uk for Microsoft exams, pay either pearsonvue or prometric with your debit card or discount vouchers , then go to your nearest test center which you will find on the mentioned sites above and take the exam(s).

Simple :D

8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps try and sort something out with your employer so you can change your shifts or something like that? I would avoid anything distance learning orientated at this stage of your career, you will probably just be sent the book I just posted a link to. Save yourself some cash! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Self-study is the way! :)

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

Ok, im getting the feeling that alot of you guys have gone the self study way, so who is going to be kind enough to let me know exactly what i need if i go self study too....ie what books, equipment etc. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also one other question....

When this guy came round last night he siad the certification i would achieve would be a globaly recognised one, he said it wasnt like city and guilds etc as this is national. When i looked at my local colleges course it stated it was a city and guilds course, so what would the other guy be offering, any ideas? And what ideally do i want to be achiveing?

11. greenbrucelee

The A+ is reconised around the world and it isn't city & guilds as it shows you have the basics to be an entry level IT technician.

Now the A+ changes next year to a different set of objectives but if you are determined you could get it done in a few months or quicker by self study.

You will need (for the current objectives) compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers and PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles.

An old computer that you wouldn't mind taking to pieces and putting back together (unless you are totally comfortable with hardware and where it goes etc). You can pick up an old computer from a recycling center or pawnshop or ebay.

I got both books and an old pc for £60 so you shouldn't be looking at paying out any more.

When you feel comfortable with the material and think you are ready for the two exams I would advise you to purchase Bosons practice exams www.boson.com

then register with pearsonvue as I stated earlier and pay them either with your credit card or you can buy discount vouchers from www.gracetechsolutions.com which will bring the cost of the exams down. When you get your voucher numbers by email you use the voucher codes instead of your credit card to pay for the exam.

You can do any of the two exams in any order and whenever you like.

12. arthud01

arthud01 New Member

Thanks mate, great advice...much appreciated:biggrin

13. greenbrucelee

no problem, if you intend to buy the two discount vouchers from gracetech make sure you buy the international ones as the others are only valid in the US and Canada.

14. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  15. Nam

Nam New Member

hi all..I recently joined this forum..and its really pretty interesting to go through all the posts..I am an IT(honors in computer science and engineering) graduate from india..i relocated to UK last year and am based in Hull currently.I have been looking for an IT job since august 2008 and I have been still unsuccessful in getting a breakthrough here.I dont have any experience and whatever I have learnt is pretty less when compared to industry.I have been thinking of going to the university but the amount is very expensive.The hull colleges too dont offfer any good courses to invest money in them.Recently i came across of this company called futures development who promised a money back guarntee job with full on training and practical industry experience.they said they'll place me in a job with their own clients.they are charging 1,600£ for a training period of 6 to 12 months with a dedicated study period of 8 to 12 hrs per week .at the end of it they say they are going to certify me after clearing all exams .I am totally skeptical about all this but still am desperate for it because i feel its like a confidence booster to me.please can anyone let me know before i invset money in it if am doing right ,else is there any other way i can get a breakthrough in the IT field without any experience...and also please tell me about w3schools and its exams and certifications because they tell us about having a teacher or a boss..but if we dont have both who can be the supervisor..please help..

16. Nam

Nam New Member

Hi again...the course of study which i mentioned in my previous post is web design..please let me know more about it and its scope in the IT job market in UK..This is also the course which i discussed with one of the consultants at futures development company.

17. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi. It's not nice to hijack threads. You might be better of starting a new one really. Futures development is a training provider as all the others. They promise a lot but no one can find you a job apart from yourself. Also I heard Hull was hit by the recession the most so I would expect it to be really hard to find a job there at the moment, especially with no experience.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  18. greenbrucelee

You have my sympathy :D

Try starting your own thread and not hijacking other peoples.