1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello - finally got around to posting

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pfairbrother, Aug 3, 2008.

1. pfairbrother

pfairbrother Bit Poster

Hi

I've been lurking for a while and have used lots of your advice already in my pursuit of some basic certs to help me get into IT.

It began about a month ago when I started looking for some web design/development courses on the net. That's when I saw the adverts for computeach, NITLC and advent. I sent away for info and had the 'visits' from their advisors/salesmen. Whilst deciding whether to sign up with any of these providers I stumbled across CF. THANK GOD I DID! :D

Your advice means I have decided tp go down the self study route starting with A+. I have bought the AIO and passport books from Mike Meyers and the StreetSmarts guide from Tripwire. I have 2 pcs running win2k and XP ready to disassemble and play about with and a set of tools on the way via ebay.

I am not working at the moment (long term sick) and able to study a lot. I am a qualified teacher almost 50 years old and have taught ICT and need to change career. Without your advice and experience I probably would have forked out around 3.5k.:eek: Obviously it would have been totally unnecessary - the resources are out there and any reasonably intelligent person with the right time and motivation can get these certs with help from CF.

At present I have almost finished my first read of the A+ AIO book and looking to take the essentials exam in October. Then I'll go for MCDST and/or Network+ see how the job situation develops. This forum is superb for keeping me motivated and on track. Fantastic guys well done. I hope I can also provide help and support for others in the near future.8)

Certifications: MCP (70-271)
    WIP: A+. 70-272
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Glad you've saved money and took the advice given here. Good luck with your studies :)

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. BosonMichael
    Highly Decorated Member Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster Forum Leader

Hey! :D

Sounds like we're in a similar boat. I almost went the Cerco route, until this forum's advice saved me about 5 grand and some seriously wasted time.
    I also got the AIO book. Only problem is I've got NO bleedin' time to study right now!
    (My kind of teaching peaks now - hitting an average of 30hrs CONTACT/week! :lolbang)
    I'm still on, like, chapter 11.

Good luck with the study.
    And welcome - from a fellow noob!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

7. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822