Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stuart, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Hi guys.
    Ive always been into any kind of science and technology but have never worked in this field. Im 41 years old and am determined to get a job where I can use my brain. I did a CIW course for website design management a few years back but quit when I was having to phone the tutors and tell them about mistakes id found in the course materials (and they didnt have the knowledge to give me the correct answers). The only things to come from this course was introductory knowledge on things like HTML, JavaScript, Perl, and networks, (and ill have to re-learn them again anyway).

I realy want to get a job in this sector and am prepared to work hard but I need advice from you guys about which direction to go as I dont know where the jobs are, and what qualifications I will need. Im not after being rich (lie number 1), just want to enjoy work, pay the bills, and have an oppertunity to get higher up the ladder.

Cheers Guys.
    Stuart

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum. What type of job do you think you'll want in IT? Based on the fact that you studied for the CIW, I'm guessing that you want to do Web design?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Not realy sure my friend. At the moment I just want to get a job as quickly as possible and then decide where I want to go from there. Im not sure if the world has become flooded with web designers and how long it would take to get into a job doing it. There seem to be loads of free software available to build sites these days.

If you were just starting out, what would you do?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then "which direction" doesn't really matter, does it? Just go after both, and take whichever job you get first.

If I were just starting out, I'd simply pursue whichever appealed to me most.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Stuart

Stuart New Member

I suppose your right BM, I think for me its a case of "cant see the wood for the trees"

Cheers mate.
    Stu

9. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

IT is a very broad field with many different disciplines. I think it's important to know what type of IT you're interested in before trying to get a job in this field. Doing PC support is vastly different than developing Web sites. That's not to say that you can't go from doing PC support to developing Web sites, but not every developer enjoys PC support. That being said, if you're not sure, then I think your best bet is probably going to be trying to get a help desk-type of support role to get a foot in the door, and then try different things on your own. One of the great things about Web development is that you can do it with little upfront cost, and you don't need a team of developers to work with. The A+ certification is the entry point for PC support certifications, so I would recommend that you look into that. Good luck!