Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by blueskies85, Feb 19, 2009.

1. blueskies85

blueskies85 New Member

Hello Guys,

I'm new to this forum obviously but have been browsing it for a few hours and the information and advice on here is very helpfull! I am working towards my CompTIA a and n plus and hope to take the exams in the near future.
    I am currently employed as an aircraft engineer and only discovered my interest in I.T after I served my apprenticeship. I enjoy my line of work but would prefer a job in I.T as it is a passion of mine! I have been reading about the prospect of getting too qualified before I look for employment and have decided to get my A and N plus certs first then possibly work towards my mscdt certs. I was sucked in by all the hyped up companies offering MCSE's and think that it will hinder my employment possibilities, due to my lack of I.T experience.
    My current wage sits at 26000 per annum and I would like to walk into a job that pays this or even a little bit less. Is there any possibility of this happening and if so what is the job title?
    My area I intend to work in is London as im suitably located nearby, I would appreciate advice on my chosen path and am more than willing to take everything said on board.

Look forward to hearing from you

Chris

2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Firstly - Hello and welcome to the forums!

Secondly - With no real world experience and no relevant I.T related certifications you'll be very hard-pressed to find a starting wage of ~£26k.

As you're effectively starting a new career you need to expect to start on a lower wage... one closer to that of a new, inexperienced employee (as a rough estimate £12k-£15k at best.)

I'm not trying to put you off, of course, I just hope that you understand that expecting a £26k first job in I.T is pushing it...

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

Qs has given you some realistic expectations that you should consider. To fully understand why, answer a question for me: could I reasonably expect to walk into an aircraft engineer position without any experience and make 26K? Or would I have to work up to that level?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

I agree with what has been said but will just say that i have seen entry level roles advertised £18-22k on many occasions in places like Reed, TotalJobs. CWJobs etc...

I have also seen jobs requiring MCSE, CCNA, Knowledge of SANS, LANS, WANS, IPSec, Exchange, Linux, Sharepoint, ISA and more and they were advertised at £18k which made me nearly choke on my tea. I have also seen school technician jobs advertised in the London area that were around 25k, working under the Network Manager.

Keep looking you may get lucky but don't expect miracles.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. blueskies85

blueskies85 New Member

thanks for all the comments guys! I didnt expect to have so many responses so quickly and appreciate them very much so!

6. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA