Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dannyboy1412, Jul 8, 2008.

1. dannyboy1412

dannyboy1412 New Member

Hey people,

This post is to anyone thinking of emptying their bank accounts (or in my case taking out a 3 year loan) and signing up with advent. Im 26 years old and for the past 2 years have been panicking to find a career until 6 months ago i came accross advent IT training! I went for the interview and it all sounded great basically i with no IT experience could be an IT technician within months!!
    So before signing up i did some research about distance learning and the companies like Advent out there and the reviews were mixed, well they weren't they were bad but it was too late i had already made up my mind so i signed on the dotted line!!
    When unit 1 arrived I was pleased with what arrived a interactive DVD covering the "IT fundamentals". It was so easy and well put together i thought this was going going to be a walk in the park!! I completed unit 1 the past the test and waited for unit 2 to arrive. A week later i recieved comptia A+ Essentials study manual and after a nearly 4 weeks of trying to digest some of this book i emailed a tutor and asked for some advice only for them to regurgitate the same unhelpful paragraph from the study manual they had sent me. I thought i had made a very expensive mistake spent the next 3 months making excuses not to study until i became so fed up with my current dead end job and my gf nagging me i decided to get stuck in again and by accident found this website along with many other helpful websites like professermesser.com. And i cant believe how much easier it is, i actually look forward to coming home and getting stuck into it now. I have ordered a book my mike mayer which is very highly rated which should also help me on my way.
    I know i have gone on a bit but hopefully i can save someone from blowing £5000! There is so much free information on the net and help from people on these site's i would strongly advise anyone to listen to the advice given by zimbo and swerve companies like Advent.

Im sure there are people who have taken the advent road and had positive results, but i am just speaking from my own experience.

Danny

WIP: MCSE
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is why a lot of us recommend self study because places like this are not worth the money you payout, and basically all you are doing is self study anyway but paying thousands for someone to supply you with some books.

I'm sorry you have incurred un-necessary debt but atleast you have made a post to stop others from making the same mistake.

Good on ya :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, can't add much to what GBL said :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hey welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Great advice! Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!