Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by New Start, Jan 6, 2008.

1. New Start

New Start New Member

I have seen alot of good, sound advice coming from the previous visits to this site, thought I'd just say hello & start with a Q.

I was made redundant last June, aslo the previous year as wel. Both companies going into administration, that's retail. I have been meaning to change careers, but you always have self doubt, can't find good advice or the jobs/contacts to put you in the right direction.

But in December I stopped feeling sorry for myself & the lack of job offers & have started studying A+ (self study). Due to my lack of experience in IT, I know its important to have qualifications, but also experince, so I have already started applying for entry level roles. I have already applied for an IT Support Assistant role in December, yet to receive a reply. I am looking at applying for another role which is as follows: IT Network Support Assistant, salary 11500 until qualified.

Any advice, comment would be helpful, I feel like I've hit the restart button on my career/life in the last six months.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

You are doing the right thing looking for a job whilst studying the A+.

Lets us know how the jobs search and studies go

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF! Keep on applying and eventually you will find something.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

The only thing that I can add to that is: Don't give up :biggrin

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. he-is

he-is New Member

Hi welcome to the forums.

I am not sure how acurate this info is now, but a phone call for you to find out would be cheap.

When i did my MCDST the training provider i studied had funding for Va:Drious Microsoft courses and the courses were very cheap i know one of the lads on our course had paid nothing for it.

As i say not sure if funding is still available but it may be worth looking in to.

All the best with the studying and keep aplying it will be worth it when you get a job in IT i orignally trained as an accountant and have never looked back since moving in to IT.

Certifications: MCDST
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome to CertForums. I would just suggest that you focus on the skill sets the A+ certification represents. Even if you never sit the exams (though I suggest you do) for the A+, learning how to perform all of the various tasks and functions represented by the certification is the important part. Make sure you can "walk the walk". Practice, practice, practice. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Not much to add IMO, you seem to be on the right track. All I'd say is that you should follow up the A+ with the N+ and then MCDST. :)

- Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  10. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & Welcome,

Good luck with your studies & job applications. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  11. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  12. New Start

New Start New Member

Thanks very much for all the support & advice, gives me that extra bit of motivation to make it work.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like a good plan! Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!