Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by tallpaul, Sep 24, 2007.

1. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Hi everybody.
    i have recently decided to change careers (to do something i might actually enjoy)and could use some advice.
    i have been using & tinkering with PC's since my early twenties (i'm 35) and from all the reading ive been doing lately, it looks like i would find a career in IT both interesting and enjoyable.Even though i have never worked in this area before(I am an electrician).
    I am thinking about home studying for the A+ ,whilst keeping my ear to the ground for bottom-rung/entry-level positions of any type.

My question is this- I know that certs are no substitute for hands-on workplace experience , but just how far could I/should I go down the home study route?
    I would be able to give it my fulltime attention so hopefully progress should be fairly brisk; but I have been looking around and have seen very little in the way of entry level vacancies of any sort;which is making me a bit down-hearted.
    are they that hard to come by?
    i dont want to be sitting around at home with a bunch of qualifications in 3 years or so,because no-one will take me on with zilch experience!
    Would my age be a factor if someone was considering me for a Trainee/entry-level position?
    sorry for being long-winded, but any advice would be appreciated!

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+
  2. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Most entry level jobs are either PC Tech or Helpdesk Support. The A+ would be a good start for both. Net+ is a good follow up for to the A+ because it introduces networking. The MCDST would also be good because it focuses on Windows XP and user support.

With your experience as an electrician, you may be able to get a job pulling cable. This will probably not be much of an improvement over what you are doing, but it would be a foot in the door for an IT career. From there, the Network+, followed by the CCENT/CCNA may lead to a position installing routers and switches.

Becareful about getting the higher level of certs without the experience to back them up. The certs I mentioned (except the CCNA) are all entry level.

Good luck

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

First off I would like to say that personally for me and many other members on the forum would suggest you do self study for your certifications. Reason being is because a provider simply will charge you too much money and make bogus promises they cant keep such as telling you they are going to guarantee you a job. Second thing, A+, Network+, 270 these are entry level certifications meaning that with a some practice you should be able to pass them on your own and are not as difficult as the CCNA, MCSA, etc.

Third thing, the reason I recommend these entry level certs is because since you lack the experience, getting higher level certs like CCNA wont do you much good. A+, N+ these certs will give you a good base to start with.

One last thing, as long as you are motivated and keep at it, you should be enjoying the pleasant surprises the IT career will bring you. You wont be bored as there is always something new.

Good luck!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

I know people who were in their 50s getting their start in IT. Go for it!

Get entry-level certifications. How far can you go self-study? All the way. I used self-study and on-the-job experience for ALL of the certifications in my sig - I have yet to take a training course.

AJS's advice regarding certifications that are relevant to your experience level is spot on... you don't want to get YEARS of certifications, THEN go look for a job. Start looking NOW, before you have certifications, and start studying for the A+. If you happen to get the A+ before you get a job, then that's all well and good... but start looking now. Getting your first IT job will likely be the hardest thing you ever do in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF, if you are from the UK it is illegal to discriminate on age, I wouldn't worry about your age anyway. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

welcome :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :) !

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Welcome to CF (sorry I forgot to mention it earlier)

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  9. Morne Louw

Morne Louw Byte Poster

hi and welcome

Certifications: ECDL, OCN Level 2 HTML, A+,MCDST,70-270
    WIP: MCSA/MCSE
  10. tallpaul

tallpaul Bit Poster

Thanks for replying,everybody.
    it was pretty much along the lines i was thinking of anyway.
    Home study for A+ & Net+ while job hunting like a madman!
    its going to be tough but it least i'll know where to come for sound advice!

Certifications: Nothing spoddy,all electrickery so far
    WIP: a+
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF, glad to know you have decided to go for the A+ and N+ first through self study. On the other hand would also advice you tidy up your CV not more than two pages and sell yourself with what you can do with computers and start applying for call logging and 1st line helpdesk roles to start off with.

Personally, you stand a better chance looking for 3 month plus contract jobs as they tend to not hammer so much about experience and certs as much. You want to look at jobsite.co.uk, planet recruit and jobserve, put your CV and enable a search on it and watch your phone ringing almost every hour.

Best wishes and lets know how you get on. To be honest you don't need to put your date of birth on your CV as its now illegal to discrimate on the grounds of age in the UK.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell