Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ozzie, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Hi all,

I've never worked in IT before so I'm studying the A+ cert. I don't know if the A+ alone will get me a job, so I plan to do Network+, and Linux+ after.

I start college today, but from some of the posts I've read here, I might as well spend the money on books instead.
    My thoughts are, yes I could buy a book with the same content as a college course, but on the otherhand, if I'm around like minded people I could accelerate my learning.

It would be good to hears some of your comments.

Thanks.

WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, glad you joined.

A+ (or really any cert) won't soley get you a job, however they will assist you in getting the job. I know several people who got IT jobs without any professional certs, and at the same time I know plenty of people who got job after they got qualfied.

I know it sounds strange, but hang in there, professional certs will only give you a boost :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Thanks for the encouragement wagnerk :D

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome on board the CF forum and if your hard working you can get a job in IT with time. Cheerio and stay focused as the A+ is a good starting point:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Ozzie. Welcome to CertForums. The A+ plus a bit of experience will get you an entry-level job. Having an educational plan is wise. The trick is to make sure your educational and career plans match.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Good to meet ya.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Ozzie

Ozzie Nibble Poster

Top advice tripwire, thanks. :)

Thanks everyone thats said hello:biggrin

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF. Like trip said A+ is the entry level positon in IT and its a good base to start with. If you have any questions or need any help with any feel free to ask as I am sure that everyone here would be happy to help you including my self.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  13. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings :sunny

Some excellent advice from Trip & theprof.
    I can only expand on what they have said and that is everyone needs a starting point for the journey ahead in IT Certification.

A+ gives a solid foundation in IT, it also gives you confidence in the basic skills and knowledge required to use Hardware and software.

Good luck with your studies.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That depends on how much money you spent on the course and how good the course is - we are not anti training providers or instructor led training in any forum - we have just heard so many horror stories of people being ripped off that we are somewhat critical of the sales methods and job promises that some companies advertise.

Also, make yourself aware of what a braindump is by searching the word on this forum and avoid them like the plague.

Good luck with you studies and welcome to the forum 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)