Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by broze, Jan 27, 2007.

1. broze

broze New Member

Hello, Im new here and at the moment im not even in a computer job but want a change of career in computer engineering. I already am pretty good with computers but no idea how to go about getting qualified.

Is the a+ really needed or is another course more suitable?

Also how long will it take to qualify? Im 28 now and dont really want to be at retirement age by time i qualify.
    One more thing, can anyone reccomend any places to do the course?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nice site by the way, ill probably be on here regualry now! :biggrin

Certifications: None as yet
    WIP: Unsure
  2. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

A+ is recommended by nearly all as the best place to start with IT certification. It covers a wide range and will provide you with a solid foundation from which to build your skills.

As for doing the course instead of splashing out ur hard earned money with a training provider give self study some serious thought.Will save you a fortune in the end.
    All you need to get going is a couple of Books and an old PC or two, so that you can get some hands on with what you are learning.

Take a look around our varoius forums, you will find plenty of information and help.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  3. broze

broze New Member

Thanks, Ive been having a look around here since i joined half hour ago. Found some useful info already.

Ive heard the mike meyers book mentioned several times, is this the one i should be looking for. . . .

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/whs/go.asp?ISBN=0072263113&DB=220&Menu=Books Im thinking of buying it, studying form that and then using an old pc to have a bit of practical experience with.

Ive got an old pc here, still works too (it probably wont do when ive finsihed with it though) :lol:

4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. broze

broze New Member

Thanks for that. Ill take a look now! 8)

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Not to be negative, but I thought I'd make a couple of points about A+.

There are many places of employment that don't require A+, and also having A+ may not guarantee you a job. But having it does demonstrate commitment to a potential employer, so it is definitely a good thing to have.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

The A+ is a good starting block so you can build up from there. You dont need to find courses - you can do it all from home, just buy some books and save yourself a lot of money!

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self study. :)

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!