1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone - Noobie here :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by brain, Jul 5, 2011.

1. brain

brain New Member

Hi,

Im sure like a few people on this forum I have been putting off getting certification over the past few years. Now that jobs are becoming scarce I think its time to upskill before I really need to avail of my new learnt knowledge.

I am going to go the self study route as I cannot afford the time off to sit in a classroom or the price that companies are charging.

Amazon have the best price for the MCITP

MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647): Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Adminstrator Core Requirements Book/CD/DVD ... Core Requirements (PRO-Certification) [Paperback] £89

I have a server at home which I can use for VMs.

If anyone can offer advise on starting this mammoth task I would appreciate it e.g. studying times, 1 hour after work, weekends, online aids etc etc.

Thanks,

Dave

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Welcome sir! :)

Are you new to IT, or do you already have experience? Reason i ask, is experience counts for a hell of a lot when applying for jobs, you need to have the experience to backup your certs, rather than certs to backup experience (if any)

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. brain

brain New Member

Hi Apexes,

Yes I have been working in IT (1st, 2nd and some 3rd) for the past 10 years. I feel like I have enough experience to take things to the next level and I think I need certification behind me to backup my work experience.

How are/were you fitting studying into you life? I hope to do about 1 hour per day after work and a few hours at the weekend. I dont think there is any point in trying to sit down for 5 hours at a go at the start, I think I would get bored very easily.

Cheers :)

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Ah cool, then the MCITP should be pretty good for you i imagine.

I'm studying the SCCM exam at the moment, i'm doing about an hour each night after work, but it's increasingly difficult as i'm travelling alot at the moment!

I also try and do a few hours over the weekend if i get some time. Tricky bit is balancing it out against the workload, last thing i want to do after work is look at more computer crap lol.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud