Hello everyone - Its my first post.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by MajorT, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MajorT

MajorT New Member

Hi

I joined in 2 years ago but this is my first post

Well here goes. I have worked in varying IT jobs since 1990's. I have never taken MS exam/cert. Jobs have ranged from servicing IBM System 36's and AS400's, network and desktop implementation and support. I have been employed as an IT service manager and also network field support etc.etc. In 2006 and having been made redundant for the umpteenth time including my son being also born; the decision that i stay home and look after him while my partner - newly promoted would go back to work.
    We are at the stage were i have been trying to get employed again after a 5 year hiatus and apart from family&friends repairs and advice I haven't secured any work in IT. The last OS i worked with included 2k, XP and Vista with Windows 2k and 2003 server. I had decided to study for MCDST cert as a starting point being very familiar with XP. Unfortunately i didn't realize it was to retire and i missed the end date. My dilemma is which cert to take that will compliment my CV and help my chances back into employment.

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

good first post! I'd say "welcome" but can see that you've been a member much longer that I!

I had this dilemma when I was made redundant back last Sept. but I was lucky enough to still have the MCDST to aim for as this well suited much of my previous experience (and was a good starting-point for MS Certification).
    Sadly, this 'obvious' starting point has now been removed as you say and not, sadly, directly replaced.

Windows/server 2k are non-starters cert-wise but you still have 70-270 for XP, although this is still of the 'older' MCP type certification path, just like some of the Server 2003 certs still in residence - not that this should put you off if it's what you know best and worked with most.

You mentioned Vista, so considering the newer cert paths (MCTS & MCITP) possibly 70-620 may be a good starting point for you (followed possibly by 622 or 623), but I'd take into consideration the relatively low take-up of Vista within the corporate environment before making a definite decision.

I'd have a trawl of the Microsoft Learning site and have a look at what suits your specialities most (just keep half an eye on any retirement dates that are coming up for the older exams...)

HTH

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA