hello everyone at certforums

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by myfunkieststrole, Apr 13, 2007.

1. myfunkieststrole

myfunkieststrole New Member

im a graduate from bradford west yorks...in fine art of all things lol. no comment.
    ive decided want to have a career in IT but im not really sure where to start,
    hence being here to pick all your brains!

I think ill go for the a+ and network + exams. ive trawled through several home learning companies but they all seem a bit iffy. the only exception ive found so far being advent who actually seemed ok, but cant find anything good or bad about them, any advice would be very much appreciated, as would any comments on advent if anyone has had any experience with them.

a career development loan seems like an easy way to get trained, and then pay it back at a later date, but does seem a bit risky. ie if your not earning by then hand get the banks chasing you!!! but on the other hand you can get the training now, instead of saving up and self learning.

i dont mean to fill my introduction with lots of questions, this is really just a quick intro to say hello to everyone and roughly outline where i am and what im doing :biggrin

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: having a go at programming C++
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Graduate in fine arts, i thought you would be looking at Macs then, they are much prettier :)

Im with Advent and they are fine, but ive never had any responses from them with job offers. You could always go with the self study route if you feel comfortable doing that. Heres a link to the self study guide http://www.certforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11831

Oh, and welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Greetings & Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. myfunkieststrole

myfunkieststrole New Member

thanks for the reply!

yeh graduate in colouring in....3 years and 11 grand later. oops! lmao ill pay it back one day....

if only i'd thought about a career instead of dossing about and painting! ...then again i do kick ass at colouring in, dont go over the lines anymore lol.

as for macs, they dont break down do they>??? :biggrin

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: having a go at programming C++
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, glad you joined.

You're on the mark, go for the A+, Network+ and the MCDST, as they are entry level IT certs.

It is expensive going with a private training company, to be honest I would recommend either:
    1. Self study or
    2. go to your local college to see if they offer Professional IT courses as they are normally alot cheaper than private training companies

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Welcome.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  10. Ka151

Ka151 Bit Poster

Welcome to CF and to the world of IT.

Excellent choice starting with the A+ and Network+.

It was my first consideration to try these when i started out, a guy i worked with convinced me Cisco might be better for me (i was already working in a network support role) so I went for CCNA. This was back in the day when you could skip and go back to questions you thought might be worth reviewing and of course only one exam rather than too

(big sigh) those were the days.

Anyway sorry for my blabbering and reminicing.

Welcome to the group! :D

Certifications: MCP, CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP and CISSP
    WIP: ITIL Red Badge & a fresh challenge
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can still take a single CCNA exam. In fact, I highly recommend doing so.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day and welcome to CF 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

As soon as I saw your user name I thought of an arts student. Don't ask me why.....:oops:

You might want to check out the guide to self study in the articles section.

But that's about all....:oops:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685